nettime's digest on Thu, 16 May 2002 22:19:21 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Palestine [3x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> nonviolent palestinian resistance
     WoNereH@aol.com

   Et Tu, Elie?
     Brandon Keim <brandonkeim@mindspring.com>

   [Fwd: EXTRA! - NEW MAP OF THE WEST BANK]
     chris paul <idea@mcr1.poptel.org.uk>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:43:58 EDT
From: WoNereH@aol.com
Subject: Re: <nettime> nonviolent palestinian resistance

In a message dated 5/15/02 11:09:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
brandonkeim@mindspring.com writes:>
> The following is an outtake from an op-ed piece I hope to have
> published in outlets that would probably be turned off by such a
> suggestion.  Still, perhaps it may be of use as an idea, or to start
> a debate on forms of visible, immediate nonviolent protest:
>
> The situation demands the development of a drastic, nonviolent
> Palestinian strategy of resistance.  Not cute, first world sociology
> major sign-waving and puppet-making, but something real that cannot
> be ignored.  Widespread hunger strikes, perhaps, combined with the
> tattooing of identification numbers on forearms and a mass
> procession, under a vow of silence, to every Israeli checkpoint.
>
> This would be seen as an unforgivable obscenity by many, but it could
> be no more obscene than the bloodshed that is already happening.
> Peace be with you,
> BK
> www.djinnetic.org/blog

Perhaps while you are writing your op-ed pieces you would consider adding
some things that might actually help the Palestinians make some progress,
instead of keeping them as perpetual victims.  For instance, if the
Palestinians can start getting serious about having a real government, and
eventually, a real state, they need to realize that having their state
divided up into 3 parts, with inevitable Israeli checkpoints (due to the
fear Israelis have of Palestinians which probably won't be going away any
time soon), is not a workable plan.  Israel is never going to give the
Palestinians back parts of Israel that, it once was willing to sacrifice,
but now has become perfectly obvious it needs for security.  Israel has
been attacked far too many times, either in outright war, or with suicide
bombers, to ever feel generous when it comes to land.

Arafat has pocketed hundreds of millions of dollars for himself rather
than allow his people a measure of dignity, and thereby, satisfaction.
The Arabs nations have not allowed the Palestinians to build permanent
structures in the occupied territories, having always hoped Israel would
eventually be eliminated.  If the Israelis and the Palestinians are to
genuinely live in peace, which thus far is still not the aim of the
Palestinians or most other Arabs, the Palestinians need to look to their
own people for advancement, and stop trying to bleed off the Israelis.
As radical as this sounds, the Palestinians need to focus their attention
on Jordan, who can offer them far more land than Israel ever can.  Hunger
strikes cannot take back all the murderous rampages the Palestinians have
committed.  Boycotting a McDonald's in Dubai will never give Arafat a
second chance at Jerusalem.  The sooner the Palestinians accept this, the
sooner they can get on with their lives.  It is not up to Israel to give
the Palestinians jobs anymore.  It is also not up to Israel to give them
land, no matter how much the Palestinians feel they are entitled to it.
It's time to move on, face reality, get a life.  Grow, prosper in peace,
and give up the futile attempts to hurt others who now claim the land that
was once both Israelis and Arab.  The Arabs did not want to share, now
they must take the consequences of their poor choices. IMHO DG