Dave/Cherry on Tue, 21 May 2002 21:57:28 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Woomera update [2x]

[digested @ nettime]

Table of Contents:

   Refugee Embassy report
     Dave/Cherry <fold@idl.net.au>

   Labor's position
     Dave/Ross <fold@idl.net.au>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 08:03:11 +1000
From: Dave/Cherry <fold@idl.net.au>
Subject: Refugee Embassy report

News from the Refugee Embassy in Woomera

A complaint about the cost of phone calls from inside Woomera is being
investigated by the ACCC, and a report back from them is expected next
week.  Asylum seekers have informed us that overseas calls cost $2.20 a
minute, and local calls cost 75 cents a minute.  We don't know if there
are connection charges.  This compares with other phone cards which charge
between nine and 22 cents a minute (with a 50 cent connection charge),
including overseas calls.  The phones at Woomera have been blocked from
accepting any other phone cards or other free (i.e. 1-800) numbers.  We
believe that this monopoly is illegal and cruel.

Duncan Kerr, MP, has directed a question on notice to the Minister for
Immigration with regard to the pay phone scandal at Woomera.

More than 70 detainees at Woomera have sent us forms requesting visits,
and a few people have come from around Australia to apply for visits to
detainees.  Last week, three lots of visitors were successful and were
able to spend several hours with some of the detainees.  This was a great
boost to the morale of these people, and it has raised the hopes of others
that they too may receive visitors one day.  We urge all Australians to
consider the possibility of making a trip to Woomera sometime this year.
(Plan to stay for a few days to allow for security checks, etc. before you
can get in.  Camping, with cold showers and toilets, is free at the Pimba
Roadhouse!)

Ross has been manning the Embassy on his own for the past few weeks, while
Dave visits his wife in Newcastle.  We will both meet up at the court case
in Port Augusta on Monday, after which we will return to Woomera.

Finances have been trickling in.  Thanks to a generous donation from the
Quakers in Newcastle, we have been able to cover our expenses so far.  If
everyone on our mailing list would give just a few dollars each, it could
cover our expenses for the next few months.  The question is just whether
or not you think that this is an important service.  If you do, please
support it.  You can go to any branch of the Westpac Bank, and make a
deposit into account number 544-823 (in the name of Ross Parry), at Branch
number 735-065, and it will come to us at Woomera.  It costs us about $250
a week to keep the embassy going, but if we can get more than this, we
have an idea that we would like to try out.  It will depend on how much
finance we have available.  Here it is...

Detainees need to become involved in living their lives where they are
now, in order to make time pass more quickly, and in order to overcome the
feelings of hopelessness that so many have about the future.  So we would
like to start a NEWSPAPER for detainees at Woomera.  They can send us
artwork, articles, bits of news and gossip, etc.  We can also include
little competitions that can inspire them to improve their knowledge of
Australia and of the English language, with small prizes awarded each
week.  The newspaper can be produced outside of the centre and be posted
to each detainee who wishes to receive it.  This could be done for as
little as $100 per issue, including postage.  (Postage is necessary,
because it is the only way to guarantee that the papers will be delivered
to the detainees.  It is against the law for ACM to interfere with the
mail.)

We would like to hear your thoughts about such a project.  It will depend
on your support, so please think seriously about whether you can make a
donation today.  Thanks.

Ross Parry & Dave McKay, Refugee Embassy, Post Restante, Woomera 5720

Westpac Bank Branch Number 735-065, Account number 544-823.