Brian Holmes on Wed, 22 May 2002 11:36:24 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: Zagreb interview with Michael Hardt

"One could imagine pushing social cooperation further, beyond the
bounds which capital can tolerate," says Michael Hardt drily, in his
interview with Ognjen Strpic in Zagreb.

What Michael Hardt calls "communism" lies essentially in this social
cooperation. And he's right, in the sense that the empirical beacon
of a pragmatic revolutionary politics is founded on phenomena of free
cooperation, right now, in fact, before our nose - or with our
concourse, in the best of cases.

Hardt is less dry, or even enchanted, when it comes to the multitude:
"Our attempt with this concept of the multitude is to recognize the
possibility of a different kind of political organizing. Rather than
been based on, say, the alternative between identity and difference,
it's based on continuity between multiplicity and commonality....
groups that we have thought in a previous way were objectively
antagonistic, even contradictory to each other, say, trade unions and
environmentalists, suddenly, starting in Seattle, function
together..."

I would like to submit that this sudden cooperation - which has also
been short-lived, in the case of US trade unions and
environmentalists - results from the perception of EXTREME WEAKNESS
ON THE SIDE OF ALL SOLIDARITY-BASED MOVEMENTS. In particular and
exceptional circumstances, desperation suddenly breaks the barriers
that our societies are so devilishly good at erecting between
interest groups and even between individuals.

The political question is then: HOW TO GO BEYOND THE SUDDEN
INSPIRATIONS OF DESPERATION?

Here lies the weakness of all the rhetorics based on an invocation of
absolute democracy:

"The other way in which [Empire] is a communist book is that is
argues for an  absolute democracy, for democracy founded on relations
of equality,  freedom, and social solidarity. I mean, I think that
those three code  words belong to the French Republican tradition,
but also belong, in my  mind, to the best elements of the communist
tradition. So, that also seems  to me that it's the way it's a
communist book, but it's demanding an  absolute democracy."

The historical fact is that is that democracy, as we know it,
contains an absolute contradiction. Social solidarity -
i.e."fraternity" - was added to the French republican slogan in 1848,
when the "National Workshops" were instituted to give work, and
therefore sustenance, to the masses of unemployed urban-dwellers left
without any resources by a classic capitalist recession (the one
based on the railroad bubble, which so many have compared to the
internet bubble, by the way). What people realized during the
revolution of 1848 was that there was no substantial equality, and
therefore no effective liberty, for people enslaved to the liberty of
others (the bosses). But who had the power to create the National
Workshops? An organ of redistribution: the state.

The alternative globalization that Hardt calls for (me too) involves
a rethinking and a reinstitution of the state, or at least of
solidarity.

This raises screams from the rank and file of the autonomists. But I
say: you really are the "rank and file" so long as you continue to
believe that the enthusiasm of global cooperation gets rid of any
need to think about how global redistribution will be carried out. In
fact this rhetoric is coming from people who know better. Whoever
calls themselves "communist" has some idea about effective equality,
and what it entails: the socialization of education, access to tools,
and protection in the case of life-accidents, at the very least.
Abundance for all as a feasible utopia. How to create those
conditions, starting not from "human nature" but from actual
conditions, is the political question. "How things get managed,
that's the interesting thing," said Toni Negri in one of his
interviews on the pre-revolutionary situation in Argentina.

In his review of the book, Zizeck said that Empire was
"pre-political." His argument was that the call for global
citizenship would immediately provoke a fascist reaction in Europe,
and was therefore unrealistic. Look around you today. I'm for the
abolition of all borders. But that ALSO means a total reappropriation
of the European state, and then of the American one, to make it not
just into a universal welfare state mending the lacerations of
capitalism, but much more: it means inventing procedures of
delegation and representation capable of directing the tremendous
wealth of modern technology toward the largest number of people,
without creating a new version of bureaucratic oppression. Again, the
political question. Not so easy.

Let's not kid ourselves. This can only be achieved when we all have
first faced a situation of DESPERATION. Solidarity doesn't grow on
trees. And unfortunately, DESPERATION is coming. The shit is going to
hit the fan, and the question of political violence is not going to
be limited to breaking the windows of Starbucks, or to the way the
media can distort such acts. Perhaps when the Palestinians are
DESPERATE enough, they will adopt Ghandian non-violence, when faced
with the ABSOLUTE OPPRESSION of modern military technology. Perhaps
we will move toward GENERAL STRIKES in European and American cities,
total stoppages of every function, whenever our outdated "leaders"
show their heads. But for that, we have to look around and see that
people are literally starving, next door, that lives are falling
apart in our lovely European and American cities, for lack of an
address to the political question.

The NEOFASCISM gathering all around us is only the symptom of society
falling apart under the pressures, the anti-state or anti-society
pressures, of NEOLIBERALISM. But the worst is, you have to face both
the symptom and the cause.

In solidarity with Michael Hardt, Ognjen Strpic and all those who are
trying to THINK POLITICS today.

Brian Holmes