nettime's_meme_chose on Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:20:37 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> cranky's cabin digest [rosler lukens taiuti assange irving]

Re: <nettime> terrific post from slashdot ...
     martha rosler <navva@earthlink.net>
     Jonathan Lukens <jon@infopollen.net>
     "Lorenzo Taiuti" <md3169@mclink.it>
     Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
     dirving@box.net.au

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 02:19:05 -0400
From: martha rosler <navva@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: <nettime> terrific post from slashdot ...

i don't know if this is meant as a joke or what--but it is most certainly
not true.

>you just think that young played prominent source of
>60-70 turbulence. No, young are fascistoid by nature and always follow.

martha rosler
brooklyn, ny

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 02:31:35 -0400
From: Jonathan Lukens <jon@infopollen.net>

Drazen Pantic wrote:

> Am I the only young person who notices that the only people
> who express their dissent at stupid things in this world
> today are old? ....Take for example the only people you see
> speaking out in public against the idiotic "War on
> Terror"--they are old!

No examples. No attempt to qualify this argument. That being said, the
inclusion of examples and references would likely have made the tone of
your argumnet far less refereshing. This isnt sarcasm.

> Even academics who find it just as
> stupid as I do keep their mouths shut, even if they have
> tenure.

Tenure might imply a certain degree of job security, but dissent for the
tenured still implies a great amount of inconveinence.

> The same goes for this "Intellectual Property" debate. I
> would be shocked if there weren't many young artists who
> agree with every word that Bowie says about the
> subject. Still, they keep a low profile and don't rock the
> boat, because we live in a climate where that gets you
> severely punished.

Severely punished how? Its just as likely that the same shifts that
Bowie addresses also indidicate that the rock star is about as
significant now the horse and buggy were in the 1950s. In a world where
any bastard with a firewire port and the inclination can be a pop-idol,
who gives a fuck about interviewing a pop idol? What happens when
celebrity is disconnected from $?, and will $ be all about celebrity and
not about units sold, or will something we dont expect happen? Stay (de)tuned.

> I wasn't there, but I suspect in the 60's
> and 70's people faced the same dilemmas, but they said "fuck
> it, I'll say what I think and see what happens." But then
> again, maybe the government and the corporations have us
> under a tighter clamp now than any other time in Western
> history since constitutions started being written.

Who knows? Im not a historian, but people possess a certain degree of
incompetence and there are more of them everyday... working for the gov
and the org and the com. How tight is that clamp you speak of? Can the
trains run on time? Cant they get rid of the klez virus? I dont claim
affection for the powers that be-- my argument is simply that this is
just as unarguable by you to some poor bastard getting thrown in a
shallow grave for trying to cast his vote as it is by him to some other
poor bastard getting shot out behind the papal barn in the 16th century.

> Sure, we all have a right to free speech, but the system has
> made it so that speaking freely is severely against our
> interest. This means that even though we won't go to jail,
> we will get fired, spied upon, harassed, and vilified as
> friends of terrorists. (How long will it take before
> somebody argues that abolishing IP laws would be "caving in
> to terrorism"? Surely they will find some stupid, tenuous
> connection.)

The suckers they play the terrorism card on and the folks who would know
what IP stands for are detached enough that I doubt  this will come up
anytime soon. Not that that should be taken as an indictment of the
ignorrant. When I was 8 or 9 my granny made me a set of pillow cases
with the robots from the disney film "The Black Hole" drawn on them. Im
sure that were the illegality of her actions is spelled out for her she
would choose our side of the debate rather quickly.

> Anyway, this era makes me sick. You people suck.

Right on. Most of em boring too.

> I might as
> well burn my books now to save you the trouble, because when
> these old- school rebels die, nobody will raise their voice
> in protest.

Or, at least, no none of them will be written up in the times arts
section. Go figure.

-
Jon