nettime's_throughput on Tue, 18 Jun 2002 03:59:12 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> the download times they are a changin' digest [tony|hwang|porculus]

Re: <nettime> where has all the bandwith gone?
     Tony <tony@fucker.net>
     Francis Hwang <sera@fhwang.net>
     "porculus" <porculus@wanadoo.fr>

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:26:33 -0400
From: Tony <tony@fucker.net>
Subject: Re: <nettime> where has all the bandwith gone?

Content of social or intellectual value is non-requisite to driving
bandwidth demand.

Streaming video is being pushed hard by demand for adult content. The
life cam phenomenon is also growing. But all this is trivial usage when
compared to the
argus concept of everybody watching anything.

Argus had 100 eyes; Argus^5 = 10,000,000,000.

I'm not just talking about wearcam.org/neal stephensen style gargoyles
stalking about and feeding everything they notice to the interested.

I'm talking about a democratized justice system where events are tracked
not by a single big brother owned camera, but by many little brothers
and sisters who have floating cams and can verify physical events with
correlated image captures. not rodney king hand cams, but cheap hovering
cam drones (small flying wing), solar roof cams, kite cams, sidewalk
cams, treecams, deercams, catcams, dirtcams, etc; also microphones.

this may sound icky in terms of privacy loss; the alternative is a big
brother exclusive.

there you have it, a compelling demand for bandwidth. in terms of
efficiency of bandwidth used- we can fix our bandwidth paths using RSVP
protocol. a cute little algorithm developed at bell labs two years ago
allows us to layer the hoses just so, in real time.

Morlock Elloi wrote:

>>were inspired by a immature or at least incomplete intellectual culture
>>and not by social needs. the broadband future was mostly described
>>

>Aside, there is no such thing as "social needs" - that is the phrase used
>to justify whatever needs to be justified at the moment (to paraphrase
>famous propagandist, "when I hear 'social needs' I go for my gun").
 <...>