nettime's_timekeeper on Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:34:06 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> the download times they are a changin' digest [plasmastudii, Geer, Beaubien]

   Re: <nettime> where has all the bandwith gone?
     uospnJ <office@plasmastudii.org>

   Re: <nettime> the download times they are a changin'
     Benjamin Geer <benjamin.geer@attac.org.uk>

   Bandwidth redux, was EboneKPNQwest going down
     Beatrice Beaubien <i2eye@mac.com>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 00:11:44 -0400
From: uospnJ <office@plasmastudii.org>
Subject: Re: <nettime> where has all the bandwith gone?

David,

What you describe is a really cool use for the web.  But on a day to
day basis, the average user just is not as resourceful.  We look up
the medical sites and long-winded (basically ads for the medical
world).  We aren't always culling useful information from the sea of
garbage.

In your case, you found some helpful stuff.  I have never found
useful health-medical type info.  But I have no idea where to look
and very little interest in giving it much of my time (as the great
majority of surfers who aren't particularly enthralled by the net).
Not that someone hasn't posted it, but that after wading through few
hundred MBs worth of junk, I have to get up

The net COULD be a beautiful garden of uses but first we have to clip
off the 3000 layers of weeds.  Bandwidth is only going to make it
worse for now.  If it helps for one movie, it'll facilitate 20
innocuous ones.  What's the hurry?  The web will eventually grow into
some purpose, whereupon we can decide then if it's worth more
band-width.  Not give more bw and hope a use fills it.

judson

PLASMA STUDII
http://plasmastudii.org
223 E 10th Street