Plasma Studii on Tue, 2 Jul 2002 23:17:32 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> TCPA / Palladium Bonehead Propaganda Questions [x3]

digested @ nettime

   Re: <nettime> TCPA / Palladium Bonehead Propaganda Questions
     Plasma Studii <office@plasmastudii.org>

   doomsday coming in fast at 3 o'clock
     Plasma Studii <office@plasmastudii.org>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:11:43 -0400
From: Plasma Studii <office@plasmastudii.org>
Subject: Re: <nettime> TCPA / Palladium Bonehead Propaganda Questions

>http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20020627.html

Rob: that article made me think the net might just be hopeless after
all!  This is horrifying.  A viable solution is to never buy another
machine and cancel our IP accounts.  Let the greedy bastards starve.

>TCPA stands for the Trusted Computing Platform Alliance (TCPA)

Actually it stands for Tricky Corporate Profit-minded Ass-kissing (TCPA!)

after much distracting hype, the fine print continues....

>3. So I won't be able to play MP3s on my PC any more?

>TCPA / Palladium [...] people can play them on their PCs but not copy them.

what a GREAT improvement!  Gee, I'm sure everyone can think of a
million reasons this is really going to make their day.  Can't wait.

>  4. How does it work?

>TCPA provides for a monitoring component to be mounted in future PCs

>checks that the boot ROM is as expected, executes it, [ ... ]; and
>so on. The trust boundary, of hardware and software considered to be
>known and verified, is steadily expanded.

are you guys new on this planet or something?  do you really think
computers work perfectly every time?  so basically, if there's a
little glitch somewhere, the new OS makes enormous headaches for the
owner.  definitely a great reason we should all go buy this today.

>`trustworthy' means that the media player application won't make any
>unauthorised copies of content.

is somebody from the record industry belly dancing for bill gates or something?

>5. What else can TCPA and Palladium be used for?

>you might arrange that your soldiers...

most of us have no soldiers.  i personally don't want any either.
when somebody starts mentioning features with "you might arrange for
that lady at the desk at the cleaners ... ", then THAT may have some
application for folks besides just the 10 year old boys.

PLASMA STUDII
http://plasmastudii.org
223 E 10th Street
PMB 130