Phil Duncan on Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:29:00 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> National versus Federal Strategy ?!?

Need we all chip in to buy this guy a dictionary?
or
Who needed the Cold War in the first place?

The following is copied from this source:
http://dailynews.attbi.com/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=020715&cat=news&st=newsbushhomelanddc

Bush to Seek New Powers in Homeland Security Plan
Updated 10:30 PM ET July 15, 2002
By Adam Entous
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Laying out a comprehensive strategy to protect the
nation for the first time since Sept. 11, President Bush will call for new
measures to prevent nuclear strikes and for expanded powers to crack down
on suspected terrorists.

"We are today a nation at risk to a new and changing threat," Bush will
tell "fellow Americans" in a letter outlining his National Strategy for
Homeland Security.

The letter warns that "our enemies are working to obtain chemical,
biological, radiological, and nuclear weapons for the purpose of wreaking
unprecedented damage on America."
Under the plan, which Bush will present to lawmakers at a White House
meeting on Tuesday, the administration would in its fiscal 2004 budget
provide funding for the deployment of new sensors to prevent attackers from
using nuclear weapons.

The White House would also develop new "vaccines, antimicrobials and
antidotes" to protect Americans from deadly germ agents, as well as boost
the FBI's "analytic capabilities," expand the Coast Guard and improve
security at the nation's ports.

The White House did not say how much Bush's plan would cost. But it
estimated current spending on homeland security at $100 billion per year,
including expenditures by federal, state and local governments, as well as
the private sector.
In the short-term, Bush's homeland security strategy calls for Congress to
consider new ways to use the National Guard and combat air patrols as part
of the nation's defenses, which Bush has been bolstering since the
September hijacked plane attacks on America.

Officials said Bush also wanted to place new restrictions on the public's
access to information about material at U.S. chemical and nuclear plants.

Bush would also seek new laws expanding his authority to extradite
suspected attackers, and ask Congress to grant him the power to reorganize
federal agencies in response to future crises. "The terrorist threat to
America takes many forms, has many places to hide, and is often invisible,"
Bush warned.

VULNERABLE AMERICA
Sept. 11 exposed U.S. vulnerability and opened Americans' eyes to the
possibility of previously unimaginable strikes. It also obliged the Bush
administration to design a strategy to prevent a repeat of the attacks that
killed thousands of people.

Bush said his homeland security plan was developed over eight months in
consultation with federal, state and local officials, as well as U.S.
allies around the world. "This is a national strategy, not a federal
strategy," he said.
The White House said the plan was the first of its kind by any U.S.
administration.

Bush has already proposed folding all or parts of 22 agencies -- including
the Secret Service, Coast Guard and Border Patrol -- into a new Department
of Homeland Security to better guard against new attacks.
But several powerful committee chairmen in Congress are pushing for changes
to the proposal.

In a speech in Alabama on Monday, Bush appealed to lawmakers to put aside
their differences and carry out what he called the most sweeping
reorganization since President Harry Truman confronted the Cold War in 1947.

"We need to know who is coming into our country, why they're coming into
our country, and whether or not they're leaving our country when they say
they're going to be leaving our country," Bush said.

"We need to make sure we've got a coordinating facility within the Homeland
Security Department that will take all the bits of intelligence that we
gather and coordinate it, and look at it, and assess it, and if there is
any vulnerabilities in our country, react to it," he added.

But in seeking to secure the country's borders, the administration faces
what may be an impossible task: screening out would-be attackers without
slowing down the roughly 500 million people, 11.2 million trucks and 2.2
million railway cars that cross into the country each year.

Bush must also overcome major bureaucratic obstacles in trying to
coordinate more than 87,000 federal, state, and local jurisdictions across
the United States.

"We will not achieve these goals overnight, but we will achieve them," Bush
said in his letter to Americans.