Paul D. Miller on Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:44:10 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Music and technology - a dialog between Phillip Glass, Dj Spooky and others...

>hello everyone! This is an online discussion on music and technology
>Phillip Glass set up - it's an open ended scenario between a couple
>of my favorite philosophers of music and digital culture... if you
>have a moment, check it out! The dialog is for the first issue of a
>magazine on classical music and sound art  and the first issue is
>under Philip Glass' guest editorship, which kicks off the series.
>Carte Blanche will be sort of a calling card for andante's online
>magazine. Future editors will include choreographer Mark Morris,
>composer John Adams, writer Susan Sontag and director Jonathan
>Miller.

  Music and Technology: A Roundtable Discussion
Philip Glass, Morton Subotnick, Paul D. Miller (aka DJ Spooky), John
Moran, Michael Riesman

http://www.andante.com/magazine/article.cfm?id=17375

also - don't forget the test issue of 21C is up NOW! Check it out!
It'll be changing all the time until we get to the print version
though... there's alot more on the way:
www.21cmagazine.com

okay,
thanx,
Paul

Philip Glass' questions:

How has digital technology affected your compositional process?
Can you discuss new developments (both positive and negative) of the
new technology on the dissemination of new music?
Is it possible to anticipate a reaction (or moving away) from
technological dependence in future generations?
Could you suggest some ways which young composers and, to some
extent, interested listeners can get a grasp of fundamental concepts
of new music technology?
Does new music technology imply a different way of listening?
Admittedly, new developments in digital technology have been largely
positive for the composition and recording of new music. What impact
can and will this have on how composers and performers make a living?

Roundtable Discussion

Philip Glass: How has digital technology affected your compositional process?

Morton Subotnick : I've been working with technology since the late
1950s and trying to develop technological music. Technological
music - in my vision - is different from instrumental music;
otherwise, there would be no reason to do it. From my standpoint,
digital technology is the fulfillment of a lifetime vision. I never
expected it to be this good. The effect it's had is to help make what
I'm doing more complete. It's really hard for me to say exactly how
that change comes because I've been working with technology from the
beginning. For composers who had been writing instrumental music, the
advent of digital technology is probably having a bigger overall
influence.

Michael Riesman : Like many of my generation, I still write music at
a desk with a pencil. But what has changed is what I am writing for.
I would have to say that the most significant development in digital
technology has been the development of digital synthesis and sampler
technology. The other developments in the digital realm, such as the
CD, DVD, digital signal processing and hard disk recording, are of
course useful and convenient, but have not created new ways of
producing music as have synthesizers and samplers. At present, when
composing, I am well aware of the capabilities of the electronic
medium and most of what I do involves both synthetic and acoustic
sounds.

Digital technology has also affected the compositional process in
that it is relatively easy to produce an electronic track, even in an
inexpensive home studio, which has the sound of a full orchestra.
When I started writing music, the only way to hear a new piece of
orchestral music was to have all the parts copied out and get it
played by an orchestra. This was no easy undertaking if you were not
already a well-known composer. Although it's not going to sound the
same, a synthesized orchestra will provide a realization good enough
to learn from.

Paul D. Miller (aka DJ Spooky): I think of technology as an extension
of what's already been going on for a long while. Compared to the
notational symbols of European classical music or the rhythmic
patterns of West African music, a computer is a formalization of
those same processes. The computer makes all that was formal and
structurally oriented become implicit in the basic form of the
interface. I think about how John Cage used to just stare at the
piano in his silence pieces. The instrument was a jumping off point -
an interface that had so many routes available, that the infinity of
possibility led to chance operations - it's stuff like that that II'm
interested in these days - "Imaginary Landscape" and other pieces
like that create open interpretations of what the compositional
process is all about... Cage wanted to highlight that meditational
aspect of the creative act. I like to think of technology as being a
conduit for the same impulses. It also allows me to work with a wide
variety of material at the same time. It's that kind of simultaneity
that really distinguishes digital composition from analog - not to
mention the actual physical "dematerialization." In other words, I
don't need an orchestra; I can simulate one just fine, thanks. So to
make a long story short, for me, technology hasn't changed my
compositional process, it's just extended it into new realms.

Glass: Can you discuss new developments (both positive and negative)
of the new technology on the dissemination of new music?

Riesman: Well, there's no question that the biggest development in
the dissemination of new music has been the combination of the
Internet and the hard disk. The CD is of course an ubiquitous digital
format, but it does not represent a paradigm shift; it's just a
longer and more durable version of the vinyl LP. But the Internet,
together with the development of streaming audio and MP3 compression,
has introduced new ways of auditioning and acquiring music. It has
also made it possible for new music to find an audience more quickly
than in the past, when composers were forced to rely on an
underground of live performance venues. The Internet represents
freedom of the airwaves. I generally think of this as a positive
thing, but I do wonder, in my capacity as a performing artist and
producer of recordings, how this freedom may adversely affect the
music industry.

Subotnick: In terms of getting your music out, the Web and
telecommunication clearly makes it much easier because you don't
require a publisher. We never sold that many copies anyway, nothing
close to pop. Now this technology democratizes the whole thing.
Anyone can get their music out person to person. On the other hand,
the amount of music that large publishers will handle is going to
shrink. So if you have an orchestra piece, for example, you'll be
less likely down the line to get it recorded, because you can't do
that yourself.

The growth of independent publishing will mean new formats of music
that are more self-sufficient: small groups of players and directly
created digital music. The impact of the democratization and the
reduction of already limited funds for the large companies will
probably mean fewer composers will get operas and large pieces done.

John Moran: People talk a lot about how the Internet will make every
composer's music accessible. But still, in today's media-environment,
I'm not sure how non-commercial artists can compete with the amount
of advertising dollars that the large corporations can put towards
blocking out individuals. The head of Sony Classical once told me,
with utter self-assurance, that unless I started scoring music for
Hollywood movies, I would die unknown, and no one would ever hear my
work. I thought that was very inspirational - maybe he was right.

Glass: Is it possible to anticipate a reaction (or moving away) from
technological dependence in future generations?

Miller: Technology, barring some mega catastrophe, is pretty much
here to stay. I think of this kind of thing as existing on an
evolutionary scale - it really is a first step in transforming the
species. Everything from DNA sequencing to space flight to making
movies - these all point to the same sense of the environment as
information that's constantly changing. Future generations won't have
a "dependence" on technology. They will have technology as a core
aspect of their existence - as much as the languages we speak, the
air we breathe and the food that we eat are all aspects of
technology. I think of these kinds of "systems" as abstract machines
in the same vein as the philosopher Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari
dealt with these issues as interpretive frameworks for thinking.
Whether it's drum machines or aboriginals playing didgeridoo in the
Australian desert, the thing holding them both together is the
machinery of culture as an organizing system. In that context, yeah,
technology is a lot broader than someone just sitting down and using
whatever computer is around. The dependence is basically part of the
process of being human - it's all about networks systems and nodal
points... think of the mathematician Leonhard Euhler's equations for
nodal points and how they relate to net systems, and the basic idea
of "scenius" instead of "genius" is just part of the flow... it's all
about how we link the concepts together. This is just the beginning.

Riesman: I don't think there will be a reaction because there is no
dependence. There will always be the human voice and the sound of
string, wind and percussion instruments; acoustic music has not gone
away nor will it ever. As a performer, I never cease to be pleasantly
surprised that audiences show up at concerts. I harbor a fear that
eventually they will stop coming and that one day I'll do a concert
and no one will show up. But this fear has not yet proven realistic.

Subotnick: It's here to stay and no one's going to move away from it,
any more than they moved away from automobiles. On the other hand,
when digital technology and the computer came in, we tried to do
everything with them. Well, as it turned out, some things are better
not done on-line. What will happen is not a falling away from
technology as such, but, once the love affair is over, we will start
saying, "I still like making coffee better in a pot." Certain older
technologies will come back into play because they actually work
better, not because we're turning away from technology. It's the
freedom to do things one way or another. In the midst of the
explosion of e-mail, for example, there's a thriving company in
France now making fountain pens. That doesn't mean people are turning
away from e-mail, it means that some people say it's pretty great to
write with a fountain pen.

I see what's happening as a kind of golden age, in the sense that
finally there aren't going to be any major new options, so instead of
looking at what's down the line, we can look at what we've got in the
world and see what we'd like to do with it. We should now be taking a
personal responsibility to make the technology everything we think it
can be, rather than just taking advantage of it to get our music out.

Glass: Could you suggest some ways which young composers and, to some
extent, interested listeners can get a grasp of fundamental concepts
of new music technology?

Miller: I think that young composers need to think about the world
around them. It's an environment made up of wireless networks,
cellular relays, hybrid systems, rootless philosophies, immigrants
from countries on the verge of transformation, etc., etc. Too many
people are looking backwards to the 12-tone stuff and the Wagner
stuff. (It's amazing how many movie soundtracks sound like really
heavy-handed treatments of Wagner's overtures.) The "fundamental
concepts" of new music technology are just as much a part of this
world as, say, Palm Pilots or laptop computers. In the industrialized
countries, your average child understands video games, how to use a
telephone and how to navigate the urban superstructure. They are a
part of the quotidian, constantly updating landscape in which they
live. Composers, maybe, should check out what the kids are up to.
It's a real eye opener. I think of Xenakis's "Stochastic" programs
written for the UPIC Center in Paris that kids were able to use his
algorithms to create drawings as a metaphor for this kind of thing...

Riesman: The fundamental concept can be expressed in one sentence:
anything we can hear can have a digital representation and be stored
and transformed and reproduced, subject to the limitations of the
input (microphone) and output (speaker) devices. Beyond that, there
are books and there is the Internet, and there are schools with
programs in music technology.

I think for a composer, it's not necessary to understand the concepts
of the technology. He or she can just make use of it in the most
appropriate way. The same goes for interested listeners. The
technology has gotten pretty inexpensive and it is not beyond the
means of many to have hands-on experience with it, and doing so will
provide the most rewarding level of understanding.

Moran: I think that the same way composers like Rimsky-Korsakov and
Stravinsky began expressing "realistic" ideas with music (for
example, thunder or a bird singing), composers can express the
nuances of very specific events, in ways that are at once musical and
realistic. I think that the implications of the idea are extremely
interesting.

Glass: Does new music technology imply a different way of listening?

Riesman: No. There is only music, and there is only listening. I
don't believe there are different ways of listening; there are only
different delivery mechanisms and different levels of attention.
Unless someone can invent a delivery technology in which we don't
have to use our ears anymore... Now, that would be a different way of
listening for sure.

Miller: Not to me. Humans have a certain perceptual architecture -
the basic structure is the basilar membrane of the ear, the sense of
gravity and balance that we have comes from there, and the
frequencies that we can or cannot respond to come from there too.
Beyond that, I've always been an optimist - I don't think we've
engaged how much we can hear. We're conditioned to accept the social
ramifications of the various technologies as "constants" in the
environment, but they're just as open to fluctuation as the societies
that generated them. All of which points to the fact that it's not so
much new ways of hearing that are needed, but new perceptions of what
we can hear.

Moran: In as far as digital sampling goes, one can find musical
expression in anything. Of course, some people are going to say "that
sounds like noise," but people have always said that about new music.
I think that in general, people are becoming pretty open to what new
music can be - until they want to make money, or course.

Subotnick: Many of us in the world are still listening to older
music. Because of the technology of recordings, the past has
permanently blended with the present. I don't think there will be as
big a change in concert hall music but rather in music that exists
only in the loudspeakers and on the computers.

In this area, digital technology has become totally democratized
because of how cheap it is now. Compared to buying a piano and taking
years of piano lessons, you can buy an incredibly good computer at
Radio Shack for $500 and be equipped to create music. This in itself
is a huge change. Making a complex statement musically has never been
more possible or accessible. On the other hand, until recently,
anyone writing with instruments has had a similar musical background
and training. Now, you can do all of this without a musical
background and so the kind of music that's being made is going to be
different.

The people making the music are coming not out of Beethoven and
Brahms, but out of pop music. Their bias to history is completely
different. We tend to think that avant-garde music always grows out
of fine art music. The irony is that today, at the electronica
festivals, they are producing soundscapes and noise, the kind of raw
stuff that you would associate with the Futurists from the beginning
of the last century. But they've come out of the pop music and techno
world. The worlds are separating now because of these different
contexts of music making.

Glass: Admittedly, new developments in digital technology have been
largely positive for the composition and recording of new music. What
impact can and will this have on how composers and performers make a
living?

Subotnick: I don't see a big problem. The big opera companies and
orchestras are not going to disappear from the concert world, and the
potential to make a living isn't going to diminish much. There is
going to be a lot more opportunity from the composer's standpoint as
they move into technology. I've had people study with me who ended up
making music for cartoons for Nickelodeon. They've gotten big jobs to
make a living, and they're still making their music. That's new to
us. Philip had to drive a taxi cab. Now there are a lot of
opportunities for the composers who have adequate technological
chops. The instrumental composers are always going to be in the same
boat. My advice to young composers is to stay connected to
technology. Not necessarily for their own music, but for the chance
of broadening the possibility of making a living, and therefore being
able to stay in the music world. Without knowing the technology
that's going to be hard to do.

Moran: When I was a very young man, I was writing works for both
synthetic instruments, and also orchestra. After investigating the
costs and logistics of even getting an orchestra to rehearse a piece,
I quickly turned to the idea of creating the orchestra passages with
digital samplers - it was the only thing I could afford. I think if I
hadn't gone that route, I would still be struggling to even hear
those first pieces.

Miller: I see a lot of talented people waiting to get noticed, and I
see a lot of talented people putting their material on the web for
free. Both categories of people aren't making that much money. They
do it for the love of the music. I like that position, but I hate
being broke... I think that there will be a lot more opportunity to
work in an environment where basically everything you do is like
shareware. That's already happening, but if you're on the cusp of
this, it can be difficult to make a living doing it. At the end of
the day, people have to be creative about how they look for gigs that
pay: composing music for cell phone ring tones, for movie
soundtracks, for TV commercials, to Web site jingles... you name it.
The world definitely needs a lot more new music. People just have to
figure out how to make it all work for them in a way that lets them
make money. That's where I think new composers need to explore -
especially to make money from music that might not be commercial in
the "normal" sense. A lot of times I go on line and I see that my
music is available everywhere as MP3 files and I'm not making any
money off of that. As soon as you put music out there, someone can
copy it and it's gone, so the main thing is to figure out
alternatives. I try to diffuse what I do into a lot of different
contexts and platforms. That makes for a lot of multi-tasking, but it
certainly beats being broke.

If you would like to respond to this roundtable, please write to
letters@andante.com.

© andante Corp. June 2002. All rights reserved.

Related Articles:
magazine:
A Composer's Century
Inaugural Carte Blanche editor Philip Glass introduces the music of
his time, and the writing he has commissioned to bring it into focus.
Forging the New: A Century of Performance Art
In the 1960s and '70s, Philip Glass was part of a community of
artists who challenged conventional ideas of genre and form. RoseLee
Goldberg looks back on Glass' early world, and on the history of
experimentalism to which these artists were heir.
Borne Back Ceaselessly Into the Past?
Too many new operas today simply rehash the genre's former glories.
Greg Sandow argues for a different idea of opera - one that favors
the vibrant, the unpredictable and the truly modern.
On Sewing Machines and Self-Expression:
Mapping the Future in Sound
The founder of New York's MATA festival charts the staggering
diversity of new music being written by the next generation of
contemporary composers.
Related Pieces:
Philip Glass: A lecture by Philip Glass

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe
they are free...."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Port:status>OPEN
wildstyle access: www.djspooky.com

Paul D. Miller a.k.a. Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid

Office Mailing Address:

Subliminal Kid Inc.
101 W. 23rd St. #2463
New York, NY 10011