Soenke Zehle on Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:37:53 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: Pritchett/Summers

I looked at this controversy again, and Lant Pritchett said that the
memo had been 'doctored' by a WB staff member who excerpted what was
meant to be an 'ironic' aside from a much more comprehensive memo on
environmental policy...whatever, but do check out the sidebar 'Toxic
Memo' in the article that celebrated Summer's return to Harvard.

Rosenberg, John S. "Worldly Professor: The University's high-energy,
multitasking twenty-seventh president comes home to Harvard." Harvard
Magazine 103.5 (May-June 2001). URL:
http://www.harvard-magazine.com/archive/01mj/mj01_feat_summers_1.html

The logic of pricing and the mechanisms of valuation at the heart of
environmental economics, enshrined in the Handbook on Standard National
Accounts of the UN Statistical Division and pushed in Agenda 21, are
absurd as they are...

I'm not against attempts at (environmental) valuation as such, since
they were (as far as I know) introduced to push GDP as the master
measure of the wealth of nations off its pedestal, with mixed results
(now we have 'environmental satellite accounts'). If the 'Global North'
indeed accumulated an ecological debt to the 'Global South', I think it
makes a lot of sense to think of that in terms of $$$ and not just
metaphorically, so you need to calculate material flows somehow. Btw,
have you written on 'ecological economics' (Martinez-Alier et al)? Their
idea - the economy not as synchronic system geared toward allocative
optima (neoclassical econ.) but as entropic system of energy and
material flows...sounds much better to me, actually.

Soenke