Newmedia on Thu, 12 Dec 2002 00:18:30 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Multimedia Instead Of Law? [Stahlman]

Kermit:

1) The "book" was visual and "point-of-view" as well as "perspective" have
long shaped law.

2) Electric media returnes us to a oral bias and undermined the visual biases
of printing, a phenomenon that is now 150+ years old.

3) Legal frameworks given to us by our earlier visual biases -- such as the
U.S. Constitution -- were set aside (for crucial matters) 100+ years ago.

4) Television isn't a visual medium, it's tactile; it's effects are like a
massage not an "image."

5) We are now in the process of replacing television with new media.

Which century does this author live in?  Has he bothered to read any of the
work on this topic?  Or, is he simply trying to defend "books" and his own
point-of-view?

Best,

Mark Stahlman
New York City