Bill Spornitz on Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:22:44 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> some technology that I could use in my life

A short list.

-- Small information interfaces that work. I don't care if they have
a keyboard, or use Bluetooth, or can do voice recognition (if they're
handling telephony already,  they may also want to handle
voice-data). They look and feel and taste cool, and they bring the
information I need, out across the place where I live, sortof like in
a cage that I build for myself.

-- a small photocopier device that I could use to scan (substitute
your use case here...)  recipes, then make them available by a web
service to the various interfaces (no, not terminals ;-) around my
house. They could do a bit of optical character recognition if they
want, if only in order to build an index for a good search engine.
They should know how to format a recipe, and should publish in some
kind of xml-pdf format.

-- software, served from the phone company, that helped my
telephone-ish interfaces to help me to decipher the Byzantine and
oppressive menu system currently offered everywhere. If there are
four menu choices, associated with numbers, I would like to see them
displayed on the telephone in a fashion whereby making the
appropriate choice was not a memory exercise. Memory exercises went
out with the end of Communism. Spell it - Telephonic Graphical User
Interface; maybe using JTree, touch-sensitive, why not.

that's all I need at this time.