nettime's_forking_tendencies on Tue, 31 Dec 2002 19:29:21 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> wireless commons digest [stalder, elloi]

Re: <nettime> The Wireless Commons Manifesto
     Felix Stalder <felix@openflows.org>
     Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi@yahoo.com>

Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 14:31:51 +0100
From: Felix Stalder <felix@openflows.org>
Subject: Re: <nettime> The Wireless Commons Manifesto

A while ago, I posted to nettime an article [1] originally written for Mute
[2] on the potentials of broadband. A few days ago Michael Gurstein
forwarded the post to a wireless list on which it generated the below
reply. Since it co-incides with the Wireless Commons Manifesto being posted
on nettime, I thought it might be interesting look again at the promise of
broadband.

However, there are important structural differences between a wireless
commons and a broadband infrastructure, so the fact that one didn't deliver
as expected does not prove that the other is doomed. Also, I think the jury
on broadband is still out. So far, peer-to-peer technologies have been
rather interesting, though in a very different way than the socially
sensible applications referred to in the below post.

Felix

[1] http://amsterdam.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-0206/msg00113.html
[2] http://www.metamute.com