nettime_mixmaster_discourse on Tue, 7 Jan 2003 08:49:43 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> hop hip digest [fusco, williams, porculus, butt]

TONGOLELE@aol.com
     Re: <nettime> hip hop eulogy digest ctd.
Ben Williams <bwilliams@citysearch.com>
     RE: <nettime> FUCK HIP HOP: A Eulogy to Hip Hop
"porculus" <porculus@wanadoo.fr>
     Re: <nettime> FUCK HIP HOP: A Eulogy to Hip Hop
Danny Butt <db@dannybutt.net>
     Re: <nettime> hip hop eulogy digest [myers, eduardo]

From: TONGOLELE@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 11:24:09 EST
Subject: Re: <nettime> hip hop eulogy digest ctd.

Dear Paul

It seems to me that implicit in the critique you originally posted are some
crucial issues that are being symptomatically overlooked by the defenders of
hiphop here, who appear to be stepping in to "save" black expression from
that great demon of demons, a black intellectual, who because of his
criticality is no longer a valid arbiter of "authentic" black popular
expression.  Without acknowledgement of the economic force of the white
market on black music, most discussion of "successful" black music devolves
into attacks and defense of black musicians, their authenticity and/or their
personal integrity, and grandstanding about who is best suited to make such
determinations.

What I mean to suggest is that the development of hip hop as a cultural
phenomenton needs to be  charted in relation to its breakthrough into the
mainstream market.  It is unwise to forget that once upon a time hip hop was
not allowed on MTV and that in those early days the mainstream media created
an image of it as a threat to social stability, because of the views
expressed about law enforcement and its sexual directness. While the sexual
messages of hip hop would be reconfigured to serve the market , the political
message that racial oppression was the main obstacle blacks face has been
suppressed and substituted by the touting of material wealth as the key to
black success. Sure, lots of hip hop artists made money and make music about
their the material benefits that fame accords.  But other more
demographically rooted aspects of black experience are obufscated by the
spectacle of big cars, big jewels and big breasts. At the same time, it is
not unusual to hear white rock musicians articulate their anxieties about hip
hop's incursions in "their" market.

The breakthrough into the mainsteam is a moment and a process that is a
fundamentally racial one - by this I mean that the  when hip hop was found to
be "desirable" to white suburban youth (still the standard for determining
saleability of popular music in this country), it was subjected to
alterations that tranformed it into a black musical form for a predominantly
white market - and the industry determines what racialized desires and
expressions are in order to extract profit, not to further creativity. Those
alterations combine the standardization of musical form, the suppression of
political content, and the construction of particular stereotypical modes and
performances  of blackness.   It is that process of racialized
commodification that is the "postmodern logic of late capitalism", not rap
itself. That hip hop artists who show the world how capitalism rewards them
and fetishizes their blackness get the most exposure should surprise no one.

The idea that hip hop has diversified because there are more groups out there
selling is highly dubious. The proliferation is better understood as being
based on the interplay between industry's drive for profit and the bleak
economic realities that black urban youths face in which descent jobs are
scarce and access to wealth rides largely on the ability to commodify the
performance of blackness as an athlete or a musician. As long as that
socio-economic context shapes the landscape, we will be treated to a barrage
of vapid hip hop remakes and sequels, rather than innovative engagement with
the relationships among orality, aurality and technology that hip hop once
promised.

Yes, it is true that hip hop is now disseminated to a global market that is
multi-racial. However, in order to reach that level of dissemination it first
had to pass through the make or break stage of being subjected to the
racialized "disciplining" of a market shaped by white interests. We live in a
racialized global order, not a raceless one. This process of standardization
is more evident in world music with its endless stream of anthologies and
generic packaging (asian groove, arabic chill, etc.). I will only note here
briefly that in Cuba, that standardized racialized packaging is not yet the
way that locals consume their own music, and it is not even sold that way to
anyone but tourists - but it is the way Cuban musicians trying to make money
have started to think about making music, to the detriment of the forms.

I have no doubt that my comments will generate some incensed responses from
those who will try to claim that I am demonizing white consumers and/or
ignoring the ways that black producers have introjected stereotypical
constructs of blackness. I maintain that there is a distinction to be drawn
between the music industry's manipulation of racial logic and individuals'
understanding of their own desires, but that no one's desires transcend those
systems entirely. Furthermore, the consumption of racialized cultural
artifacts is not a mimetic reflection of  interpersonal or inter-group race
relations, though it is a relevant component of them-- the consumption of
racialized spectacle, be it visual or aural, often functions as a substitute
for them.

Best
Coco Fusco