nettime's digestion on Tue, 7 Jan 2003 21:20:55 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> hip hop digest vol. 5 [Guderian, Wark]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> hip hop digest vol. 4 [sonar radar, eyescratch, mcgee]
     Carl Guderian <carlg@vermilion-sands.com>

   Re: <nettime> hip hop digest
     "McKenzie Wark" <mckenziewark@hotmail.com>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 15:28:08 +0100
From: Carl Guderian <carlg@vermilion-sands.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> hip hop digest vol. 4 [sonar radar, eyescratch, mcgee]

Why did anyone think hip-hop would be immune to Sturgeon's Law (90% of
everything is crap)? Anyway, there's so much of it, that you'll never have
time to hear even the good 10%. Bennu's lament sounds like an intellectual
heart being broken yet again; another vicarious revolution frittered away.
Cop-Killa' Ice-T did at least work with Jello Biafra, and the cover to "Home
Invasion" nailed gangsta rap's appeal for white boys (and for awhile I was
treated to 20-something guys saying "beeyotch" in the office).

Punks let the intellectuals down, as did rockers before them. If it's Marxism
you want, there's always The Coup. If you want revolution, do the revolution
first and let the soundtrack come later, not vice versa. That's intellectual
pedophilia--hanging around angry young musicians and hoping to refine their
raw lyrics into correct theory, thus sparking the revolution. It was
entertaining when Greil Marcus did it (though Lester Bangs was more fun to
read), but in the nend it's just creepy.

If Bennu's had it with hip-hop, then good. The sooner intellectuals write off
hip-hop, the better. Then it can be itself, for better or worse.

Carl
(occasionally DJ REX84)