Ryan Griffis on Mon, 7 Apr 2003 20:46:32 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> RE: genetic architecture

> When architecture becomes genomic, the ecological
> circuit between human immune system and a buildingšs
> immune system is raised to primary importance. The
> notion of a sick building syndrome takes on unimagined
> ethical ramifications. Whether or not we come to eat
> our architecture, we will internalize it on a
> micrological level, as we would the viruses, bacteria,
> diseases of any complex organism with which we share
> close quarters.

very interesting analysis. hadn't thought much about the architectural
implications of biotech + genetics... the "ethical ramifications" would
seem large indeed, as the architecturally internalized "viruses, bacteria,
diseases" could very likely parallel groups currently considered vectors
of disease within the present inert sub/urban architecture. how the
"complex organism" is defined (and by whom) being crucial, i guess,
similar to the "posthuman" problem (i.e. who does it benefit?) are there
any other sites of investigation into this?

take care,
ryan