Paul D. Miller on Wed, 9 Apr 2003 22:05:19 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Notes for a New Utopia: The Fela Project

This artists statement is for the catalog of a museum show coming up
at The New Museum of Contemporary Art based on the Nigerian musician
and artist, Fela Kuti. The show is called "Black President" and is an
engagement with a wide variety of artists exploring Fela's work in a
global context. My installation will be both, sound and internet
oriented. The show is curated by Trevor Schoonmaker, author of the
upcoming anthology "Fela: from West Africa to West Broadway"

more info on the show can be found at:

www.felaproject.net/

Artists Statement for "A Different Utopia:" Project for a New
Kalakuta Republic 2003

Paul D. Miller a.k.a. Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid
www.djspooky.com

In a world of constant upheaval and continuous transformation,
sometimes we look to music as a way of escaping the problems of the
world. Fela did the opposite: his music was about immersion in the
ebb and flow of the conflicts that described and circumscribed the
nation state he inhabited. His home was Nigeria, a place of so many
contradictions and fictions that it might as well exist as a story, a
fable spun from the fevered imagination of a very strange
storyteller. The name "Nigeria" itself is an inheritance from a
colonial past bequeathed to the confused and angry people who found
themselves confined and defined within its borders after the colonial
powers decided what would be the best route to economic balance
between Europe and Africa. As a country, Nigeria and most of the
Sub-Saharan continent were created on maps drawn on a palindrome of
political and economic expedience - all of which did not involve
those who were most relevant to the process: the people who actually
lived there.

intervention 1:

"The Metropolis strives to reach a mythical point where the world is
completely fabricated by man, so that it absolutely coincides with
his desires. The Metropolis is an addictive machine, from which there
is no escape, unless it offers that too...
Through this pervasiveness, its existence has become like the Nature
it has replaced: taken for granted, almost invisible, certainly
indescribeable..."
Rem Koolhaas, "Delirious New York"

In the world of post-colonial Africa, what Fela did was foster a
unique circumstance - he created a utopia. His "Kalakuta Republic"
was a way of producing a space that reflected his desires as an
African to build an independent cultural zone, a place that
literally, following the definition of the term "utopia" didn't
exist. The "Kalakuta Republic" was essentially a space that reflected
his values and needs - something all too rare in the post World War
II African political and cultural landscape. It was an artificial
place in the midst of an artifical situation - what could be a better
metaphor for contemporary Africa? Place one mirage in front of
another and you get a hall of mirrors, a place where reality comes
only by design, and thati's a good starting point to look at the
"Kalakuta Republic." By creating a social space bounded by and
founded on African needs, he had to secede from the imaginary space
of mass culture that was called "Nigeria" to create a new story, a
new fiction founded on music, and culture indigenous to the people
who lived there. Fictional spaces and imaginary cities - new forms
demand new functions - that's what Fela told us with his Shrine
Project. The logic of the "Kalakuta Republic" flows from a twisted
cross-roads of modernity on the edge of the post-modern: where other
young countries like Brazil would bring in someone like Oscar
Niemeyer to construct a new capital like Brasilia, or Le Corbusier,
at Chandigarh, India, in the 1950's or the United States with Pierre
L'Enfant's 1791 design of Washington D.C., Nigeria, with Fela, was
pressed by so many demands in so many different directions that his
new city had to improvise on the spot in response to a scenario
where, to say the least, the people running the government didn't
want a new more dynamic architecture to represent their "new" nation
state. Unlike the European notion of "Utopia" as a planned and
designed place of Reason and Rationality bequeathed from Thomas
Moore, Plato, and Francis Bacon - Fela's republic would be made
invisible and modular - he created a mini-world on several city
blocks. The city Fela found himself in was a "found-object" to be
manipulated and remixed at will, and essentially, that's what
provides the foundation for my investigation into his concepts of
architecture.

The "A Different Utopia" project imagines a remix of the architecture
of Fela's "Kalakuta Republic" along lines imagined by proportion and
ratio - it poses two different cultures in conflict, and like a dj,
it asks them to understand the rhythms of the different cultures that
inspired the structures that Fela engaged. Thesis, Anti-thesis -
Synthesis. "A Different Utopia" is a dialectical triangulation
between the forces of modernity and it's fixed forms, and the fluid
dynamic needs of a critique of post-colonial reason and rationality.
The original  "Kalakuta Republic" attempted to seceed from Nigeria
several times, and in this day and age when artists like C.M. Von
Hausswolf arbitrarily create nation states with their own passports,
and artists collectives routinely create collective fictions of
nation-states, like www.etoy.com, well, all I can say is that
art-history has caught up to peple like Fela. The philosopher
Santayana said in his 1905, "The Life Of Reason" collection of essays
and observations: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned
to repeat it." "A Different Utopia" is meant to highlight the
linkages between the urge to create your own space and the world
context of living in a highly regulated contemporary information
culture. What happens when you can access different versions of the
past, and sample them? What happens when the culture you live in is
dispersed throughout the globe and you are left to play with the
fragments? That's what this project is about. Diaspora and
convergence, reality in the 21st century as a nomadic flux based on
the dynamic interaction of many cultures in the same space - living,
working, and breathing at the same time. Different kinds of reason
imply different modes of thinking about how to exist in an
environment that denies you any and all aspects of "subjectivity."
After all - that's what nation states are about: there are subjects,
and there are rulers. What I propose in "A Different Utopia" is a
landscape based on Plato's "Republic" - the text is remixed and
reconfigured into a world where everything is not as it seems, and
we're left to our own devices to actually engage the songs of freedom
that Fela made room for in a post - and now - neo, colonial world.

utopia

\U*to"pi*a\, n. [NL., fr. Gr. not + ? a place.] 1. An imaginary
island, represented by Sir Thomas More, in a work called Utopia, as
enjoying the greatest perfection in politics, laws, and the like. See
Utopia, in the Dictionary of Noted Names in Fiction.

2. Hence, any place or state of ideal perfection.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

It was in 1985  that Fela created his "Kalakuta Republic" in which he
essentially christened an autonous zone where the rule of law in
Nigeria was left at it borders. In essence, what he did was take his
idea of a nightclub and turn it upside down and inside out - there
was no invocation of pleasure in his declaration of indepence. As
always, Fela was a trickster, and even in the case of attempting to
set up a new country that comprised only several city blocks, he
thought of creating a new relationship between himself, language and
the way he lived in a world governed by rules he felt did not apply
to him. He needed a term to describe the thought process of living in
a post-colonial mentality, and that's what the Shrine and the
Republic were about:  "It was when I was in a police cell at the
C.I.D. (Central Intelligence Division) headquarters in Lagos; the
cell I was in was named "The Kalakuta Republic" by the prisoners. I
found out when I went to East Africa that "Kalakuta" is a Swahili
word that means "rascal." So, if rascality is going to get us what we
want, we will use it; because we are dealing with corrupt people, we
have to be rascally with them."
In Platos' Republic - all aspects of living in the Utopian City are
governed by rules of proportion and ratio (ratio, of course, being
the root word of "rationality"), and the psychological impact of the
arts, and contemplation of forms that are both visible and
intelligible - it's the same myth that drove the making of the film
"The Matrix" - but its a story that was told several thousand years
ago: shadaw and act, phantom and fiction - the future "Republic" in
Plato's story would be governed by people who had seen past the
shadows of an illusion and tried to bring light to people whose
imaginations had been chained. Fela publicized in some of the flyers
for the "New Afrika Shrine"  Republic something similar to the
"Republic" that Plato had said so long ago in his "myth of the cave"
(Book VII) of the "Republic" - "When ruling becomes a thing fought
over, such a war - a domestic war, one within the family - destroys
these men themselves and the rest of the family.pp199"

	It's this kind of intercine conflict that led to the
destruction of Fela's compound, and in a way, the digital
reconstruction of it that takes place in my project is a blue-print
for a different rhythm, a different ratio - a different drummer. The
"Kalakuta Republic" I imagine is one of pan-humanism based on a
universal architecture of networks and corresondences, it is an
environment based tranactions placed in a web of coded languages and
vernacular systems. In our information based economy, we inhabit a
world where the structures we inhabit reflect our desires in so many
ways - they are flexible, modular, and above all else - transitory.
Goethe and Schelling said so long ago "architecture is nothing but
frozen music." "A Different Utopia" inverts the question and asks:
what happens when you dethaw the process? It's a project based on
Tony Allen's 1979 record "No Accomodation for Lagos" and incorporates
the afro-rhythms he used for that project to create a map/blueprint
of an "imaginary city" based on the proportions of beats and pulses
that the artist Ghariokwu Osunlila (who designed many of the covers
for Fela and Tony Allen's Afrika 70 collaborations) would imagine - a
cartoon universe where sounds of an imaginary landscape built of
ratio and proportion defined the record cover sleeves to reflect the
same concerns George Clinton and Pedro Mayer (the artist who designed
many of the Funkadelic record cover sleeves) - an Afro-Futurist
landscape of sonic fiction made to be more real than the "real" that
the musicians invoked with their sounds. As Fela wrote in an
advirtisement in the magazine "Punch" in 1979, the Shrine was meant
to be a place of new values: "After a long battle with the authority,
we are staging a big comeback at the new Afrika Shrine... We want the
authority, the news media, the public and everybody concerned to know
that Afrika Shrine is NOT A NIGHTCLUB - it is a place where we can
worship the gods of our ancestors."
He went on to blur the lines between Church and Shrine with a 7 point

a) The Church is an ideological centre for the spreading of European
and American cultural and political awareness
The Shrine is an ideological centre for the spreading of Afrikan
cultural and political awareness.

b) The Church is a place where songs are rendered for worship.
             The Shrine is a place where songs are rendered for worship.

c) The Church is a place where they collect money.
The Shrine is a place where we collect money.

d) The Church is a place where they drink while worshipping ("holy communion").
The Shrine is a place where we drink while worshipping.

e) The Church is a place where they smoke during worship (burning of incense).
The Shrine is a place where we smoke during worship.

f) The Church is a place where they dress the way they like for worship.
The Shrine is a place where we dress the way we like for worship.

g) The Church is a place where they practice foreign religion.
The Shrine is a place where we practice Afrikan religion.

Another quotation:  "And finally, in the very last episode, the Tower
of Babel suddenly appears and some strongmen actually finish it under
a new song of hope, and as they complete the top, the Ruler (of the
Olympus, probably) runs off making a fool of himself while Mankind,
suddenly understanding everything, finally takes its rightful place
and right away begins its new life with new insights into
everything..."
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Demons

In the here and now, "A Different Utopia" is a bridge between the
visions of reason that held together Europe and Africa, the U.S. and
Nigeria - and proposes a philosophy of rhythm. The text becomes
shareware. The beats and pulses, bass-lines and sounds, they are
threads of a sonic tapestry woven out of desire and dreams. They are
vanishing points on the landscape of the imagination - that's to say
that they're points alright, but they punctuate a different
architectural syntax, a place that Rem Koolhas would call the
"culture of congestion" or that Tony Allen would simply call "No
Accomodation." Here, the soundslines and vectors of an invisible
social sculpture become indexical - they're signifiers of meaning at
the edge of understanding. Ratio and rationality, rhyme and reason -
these get remixed again and again. In a "Different Utopia" the
Santayana phrase becomes a new axiom: those who do not understand
history remix it to create their own.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe
they are free...."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Port:status>OPEN
wildstyle access: www.djspooky.com

Paul D. Miller a.k.a. Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid

Office Mailing Address:

Subliminal Kid Inc.
101 W. 23rd St. #2463
New York, NY 10011