Alex Tauras on Tue, 15 Apr 2003 01:29:36 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> the matrix returns

I just discovered the philosophical essays on the matrix website. Has anyone
read these? What do people think?
www.whatisthematrix.com

Here are some impressions fresh from my blog:

The release date of the year's most anticipated metaphysical blockbuster
approaches. To prepare the movie-going public for this revelatory experience,
the film's producers have included a section on the website dedicated to
philosophical interpretations of the first Matrix. These essays are all written
by respectable scholars, including big names like Colin McGinn, David Chalmers,
and Hubert Dreyfus (who I studied under not long ago). While it's not uncommon
for philosophers to write about movies, the attention given The Matrix is as
far as I can tell unprecedented. Given the variety of approaches taken by these
essays, I'd say the attraction stems from the film's heavy use of familiar
symbolism treated in a largely (and aesthetically seductive) superficial
manner, updated for modern tastes and preoccupations. This allows for a
remarkable conjunction of "perennial" philosophical and religious themes with
modern technological concerns.

(It's no wonder then that the film is attractive to Dreyfus, a Heideggarian who
has written a lot on AI, since Heidegger explicitly traces the roots of the
modern technological practices from Plato through Descartes, Nietzsche, etc.).
What we get out of this is a neat picture of a largely smooth and continuous
tradition with which we can all identify. The downside of this, I feel, is that
irreducible tensions and antagonisms that exist between elements of this
tradition are glossed over even as they are raised. For example, while
Platonism and Christianity have much in common, they also diverge on many
crucial points. The easy assimilation of both into The Matrix goes largely
unexplored. If Morpheus is a Socratic gadfly, and Neo a Christ-figure, what is
the significance of their direct coupling in the film? Are Socratic education
and care of the self really the same as Enlightenment emancipation and
autonomy? Are Socrates, Christ, Descartes, and Kant all teaching us the same
thing? Socrates often used myths and fantasies to explain his ideas, and
famously advocated their institutionalisation in the Republic. On the other
hand, many thinkers of the Enlightenment rejected Christian doctrines as
mystifications. It seems to me that the film's sophisticated slapdashery (I can
get away with phrases like that b/c it's my blog), which brings to mind in some
ways the exultantly irresponsible pastiche of early postmodern architecture,
but which on the other hand takes itself quite seriously, needs further
analysis. The different traditions of Western thought (not to mention those of
the East) that find their way into the Matrix often express incompatible
positions and injunctions (even when, as in Kant, the attempt is made to
reconcile them) that are experienced as unresolved contradictions today. The
accomplishment of their synthesis through the heroic application of leather and
CG is an unlikely feat, no matter how good it looks on screen.

I've barely skimmed the surface of these essays so far, so it could be that
this concern is addressed in some of them.

BTW if anyone can tell me where to get a jacket like Neo's in the new film for
cheap let me know...