ninplant@xs4all.nl (by way of Pit Schultz ) on Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:35:47 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> FREE RADIO IN AMSTERDAM UNDER ATTACK - URGENT!

100, 000 ANTENNAS FREE RADIO MANIFESTATION

11th June 2003,  Amsterdam / From Wreck This Mess in behalf of all indie
media in Amsterdam and the Netherlands

It is time to inform you about a dire situation in Amsterdam. It is a call
to all Free Radio makers,  all small indie label musicians and interested
parties,  listeners and readers of Wreck This Mess Playlists etc.,  and
sympathisers worldwide to support the Dutch Free Radio Stations in their
protest against Dutch National Radio Frequency Policy which currently
threatens the very existence of Free Radio in the Netherlands.

If you appreciate my programming,  my dedication to new/unusual music,
free radio [17 years now],  the hypothetical exposure my playlists give
under-regarded music/musicians then I implore you to write a letter and
send it to radiofestatie@yahoo.ie  . I recommend you give a very short
introduction of who you are [musician,  band,  DJ,  fan,  listener] and
where you are writing from,  that you are comng via Wreck This Mess
[optional of course] and then WHY. Keep it short but don't skimp on
emotion or indgnation. Read on for more details.

Please feel free to forward this message. Pardon any duplications or cross
postings. Messages of support and requests for further information will be
gladly received at radiofestatie@yahoo.ie  .

And please cc me if you think of it! more at:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~artburo/cgi/r100/guestbook.htm

100, 000 ANTENNAS - FREE RADIO MANIFESTATION JUNE 14 - AMSTERDAM
<http://www.vrijeradio.nl>

The Dutch government's recently implemented Zerobase Radio Frequency
Policy is designed to control and regulate free use of the ether by
commercial radio stations. On May 23 this year most available space on the
Dutch airwaves was auctioned off to the highest bidder. It should come as
no surprise to anyone that as a result of this auction it has become clear
that for the next eight years only the biggest,  most commercially and
mainstream oriented stations will be able to exploit the remaining Dutch
frequencies.

The government's claim to preserve diversity in the new airwave
distribution has proven to be a fraud. The ZeroBase Policy acknowledges
only two kinds of radio: public and commercial. Any radio formats that
don't fit within either of these categories have in effect become criminal
organisations. Zerobase's nasty little brother "Project Etherflits",  an
initiative of the Department of Economic Affairs,  has since March of this
year been pro-actively identifying and tracking "illegal" broadcasters
throughout the North and East of the country,  confiscating studio
equipment and imposing large fines. Many stations have already been forced
off the air.

Recently strong rumours have been circulating that the mayor of Amsterdam
has granted permission to use police and riot-control forces to get rid of
the city's Free Radio stations - Radio 100,  Radio Patapoe and Radio de
Vrije Keyser. Although Free Radio culture in the Netherlands has a long
history and remains innovative,  popular and highly valued as an important
cultural and political resource,  Free Radio is neither public or
commercial. Thus,  under the Zerobase legislation these stations will
never be granted a legal broadcasting permit. Nowhere in Europe have
legislators been so blind to active,  independent radio-making culture.
This needs to be changed. During its twenty-five years of existence Dutch
Free Radio has been a beacon of Dutch and international fringe cultures,
alternative political action and social change.

An extraordinarily diverse range of radio makers have seized the chance to
express and promote their culture and present [counter]information in a
way that would be impossible under the rules and regulations of the
so-called "free" market. Free Radio is an initiator of and participant in
an important broad (sub)cultural coalition. Because of the ill-defined
definitions of legislators,  THE CONTINUING EXISTENCE OF FREE RADIO IN THE
NETHERLANDS IS NOW UNDER SERIOUS THREAT. THE DUTCH FREE RADIOS NOW PROTEST
AGAINST THIS SHOCKING DEVELOPMENT. WE URGENTLY DEMAND THAT THE DUTCH
GOVERNMENT ACKNOWLEDGES NON-COMMERCIAL,  NON-PUBLIC FREE RADIO AS A
SEPERATE LEGAL RADIO CATEGORY WITHIN THE NATIONAL FREQUENCY POLICY. THAT
IS TO SAY THAT LOW-COST,  FREE-ACCESS DOMAINS IN THE ETHER MUST BE
CREATED.

To support this demand,  to shed light on our situation,  and to discuss
possible solutions,  the Dutch Free Radios are organizing a huge radio
event in Amsterdam on June 14 at 5 different locations in and around the
Vondelpark..... 100, 000 ANTENNAS - FREE RADIO MANIFESTATION .... to show
that we are still alive and kicking,  and how much we will be missed if
Dutch politicians fail to end the threat to Free Radio stations in the
Netherlands.
Spokespersons..... Erik Bout 0625 168 168 Joop Ankerman 0618 855 348
General co-ordination...... Fransien van der Putt,  Stichting Bevordering
Vrije Meningsuiting radiofestatie@yahoo.ie

  Programme details,  updates and info..... <http://www.vrijeradio.nl>

Streaming info..... <http://www.indymedia.nl/live/> 100, 000 ANTENNAS