. __ . on Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:27:34 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Linux strikes back...

Nice to see that not all people concerned are paralysed... let's remember
this as a positive example for the future... The GPL can be a potent
weapon against attempts to commercialize all aspects of the net,
especially such integral things as alternatives to commercial OS and
programs...

If only people would organize more and believe in the power of
decentralized Orgs, than they could really be a controlling element. With
NGOs more and more able to participate on the International Stage (UN,
WTO, EU), this could well soften some of the nonsense, which is passed
under the name of computer law, including such elements like data
protection and privacy, which do have a huge social impact and should not
be only argued by companies and states...

Cheers,

Linux kernel coder puts SCO on notice

Exclusive As the worm turns

By Egan Orion: Sonntag 15 Juni 2003, 17:57

SCO, THAT PARIAH of the IT industry, has received what might turn out to
be legally damaging return fire from a Linux kernel developer. An email
presenting SCO with formal notice alleging copyright infringement was sent
to the firm this weekend. The email to SCO is reproduced below.

It's perhaps worth noting in passing that over 400 individuals worldwide
are credited as authors who have added significant contributions to the
Linux kernel, and thousands of others have also contributed kernel code.
All of these Linux kernel developers have the right to transmit similar
demands to SCO, and possibly pursue lawsuits, as this email suggests.

The author of the following email isn't seeking any personal publicity, so
information that might identify him has been redacted by request. µ

Sunday, 15 June 2003:

Sender information:

[snip]

Recipient information: