nettime's_hoover on Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:24:59 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> googolo-structural digest [sheetz, douwe]

Dan Sheetz <dan@goodfoodpro.com>
     Re: <nettime> googological digest [hwang, douwe]
<douwe@oberon.nl>
     Searchengine Structuralism  (was  googological digest [hwang, douwe])
<douwe@oberon.nl>
     FW: [Reader-list] the 404 error story

Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:59:29 -0500
Subject: Re: <nettime> googological digest [hwang, douwe]
From: Dan Sheetz <dan@goodfoodpro.com>

Time is now "quoting" the google search engine:

http://www.time.com/time/verbatim/20030707/6.html

> From: Amy Alexander <plagiari@plagiarist.org>
> Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:15:03 -0700 (PDT)
> To: nettime-l@bbs.thing.net
> Subject: Re: <nettime> googological digest [hwang, douwe]
 <...>

From: <douwe@oberon.nl>
Subject: Searchengine Structuralism  (was  googological digest [hwang, douwe])
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 12:42:56 +0200

> but the point -- that google's technology is a political one -- holds
> because its algorithm encodes the political structure of popularity...

An interesting idea. What are the other possible search engine political
structures. The two most succesfull approaches right now are:

The Google model. The distinguishing feature of Google is that the role
link popularity plays. This is independent of the actual search term (as far
as we know), ie a page has a certain Google Rank and that helps the page, no
matter what the user is searching for.
This is not as much a populistic structure, but more a technocratic. It is
not
the popularity among searchers that determines success, but the popularity
among
website builders/bloggers/corporations, what have you.

The other model is the more capitalistic Goto (Overture) model. Here the
pages that are search just pay for their position in the ranking. The more
you pay, the higher you end up in the listing. Note that this is dependend
on the search terms used. This is obviously more a capitalistic political
model.

The two models already seem to merge, with Google offering paid links
(distinguishible from search results, but still) and Overture buying Altavista
giving it a more serious presence in the searchengine space.

What else would be possible?

One could very well imagine a truely populistic search engine, where not link
popularity determines the position in the charts, but website traffic.  Google
couldn't really measure that, but ISPs like MSN or AOL could. Of course this
would be a rather conservative searchengine, making things popular that are
already popular, but then, so is Google.

Another option would be a search engine where you can just buy general
positions in a search engines, or the companies with the biggest market
capitalisation would score best in the search engines. After all, these
companies are the most succesfull and should therefore be listened to.

A third option would be a Google variant where a searcher can rate websites.
The Google rating following from links from websites I like is increased, the
Google rating following from websites I dislike is decreased. This way I get
results from websites that are liked by websites I like, etc. This would create
a very fractioned searchengine where everybody finds the answers she likes. Ie,
if I don't like microsoft, I will get the microsoft sucks websites, if I like
them I get microsoft.com.

Any other suggestions as to what would be possible?

Douwe Osinga
http://douweosinga.com