Ivo Skoric on Fri, 8 Aug 2003 20:19:23 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> ivogram [x5]: families, protestors, immigrants, gotovina, heritage

     [ digested @ nettime ]

"Ivo Skoric" <ivo@reporters.net>
     Family Issues
     Blacklisting in the Land of the Free
     [raccoon-announce] NYTimes.com Article: Jailing Immigran
     Gotovina
     Call Heritage!

From: "Ivo Skoric" <ivo@reporters.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 10:17:54 -0400
Subject: Family Issues

Saddam Hussein tried to immitate his great idol Joseph Visarionovich
Stalin in almost every other aspect - brutality, secretiveness,
backstabbing, manipulation, fear - except for the chilly manner in
which the old Georgian, trained by Jesuit priests, treated his
family. Saddam, au contraire, was a warm father, encouraging his
bratty offspring to participate and even enjoy in such adult
pleasures as torture and mutilation of ones political enemies. And
trying to pass a dictatorship on ones kids proved many times too
often to be a bad idea, with North Korea and Iraq being just the most
recent examples. The heirs lack the superb survival skills, because
they never had to fear anybody, and their habits are just too much
even for the constituency that is well trained into submission,
because they could always do whatever they want.

Even passing a democracy on ones child may be a bad idea, as the
situation in the U.S. suggests now. On a different scale, of course,
GW is as removed from GH, as Qusay (or, worse, Uday...) was from
Saddam. He just did coke, drove drunk, and dodged military duty.
Compared to Uday, Bush is an apostle. But compared to his Democratic
opponents he is a lowlife hoodlum.

On the other hand, Saddam might have done better if he had recognized
that among his children, girls were the smarter ones. With a reason.
True, Iraq was a modern Arab Muslim state. But it was still an Arab
Muslim state. Women migh have been as free as it goes, but men were
still more free. Uday and Qusay could do what they pleased. Sisters
had to behave more modestly. As the rest of the women, they learned
how to moderate themselves, and how to apply brains to get what they
wanted, since the brawn was not as available to them as it was to
their infamous brothers.

First, they fled Iraq, with their not-so-bright husbands who spilled
the beans to the West, when they arrived in Jordan. Then, they
followed them back, as the hubbies swallowed the bait (that nothing
is going to happen to them, yeah, right), and saw them executed by
the big bro. I don't believe little sisters really liked Uday or
Qusay that much, particularly not after that. One of them appeared on
CNN after the brothers were wacked Hollywood style. She looked a
little amused and quite tired of answering questions about her dad's
whereabouts. When she said that she doesn't know where Saddam is, it
looked like she might have known where the brothers were.

So, they are dead, and sister is getting global air-time. Nice job.
There are 3 sisters, and there were 2 brothers. Brothers were $15
million each, that makes 30, $10 million per sister. If Macciavelli
lives today, and in the Arab Muslim world (which needs renessaince
badly, anyway) he would be a she, I guess.

ivo