nettime's_deficit_disorder on Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:50:00 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> attention economy meets radical pragmatism [bonik, goldhaber]

Re: <nettime> "The more you say, the more people tune out your message."
          Manuel Bonik <mb01@gmx.de>
          Michael H Goldhaber <mgoldh@well.com>

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 04:23:13 +0200
From: Manuel Bonik <mb01@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: <nettime> "The more you say, the more people tune out your message." (Jacob Nielsen)

But wouldn't we be lost without redundancy? Who wants to be the judge in
the name of strict significancy? Aren't today's meaningfullnesses tomorrow's
spam? - Occam's knife does not exist.

Best,
Manuel Bonik

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 07:11:33 +1000
"geert lovink" <geert@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> (Finally, the word is out:  Jacob Nielsen is a reborn media ecologist. So,
> you, attention thieves, shut up, and listen to Big Daddy Jacob... Ciao,
> Geert)
>
> Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox for August 11 is now online at:
>    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030811.html
 <...>

--
Manuel Bonik <mb01@gmx.de>

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:32:06 -0700
From: Michael H Goldhaber <mgoldh@well.com>

Yes, yes. Brevity is the soul of wit. Less is more. Did Nielsen have to
say it?

Besides, people are always seeking attention; just grabbing it may not be
very effective, but it's the only chance many have.  For instance, if you
are making up an electronic sign, are you expressing yourself at all if the
sign only says the obvious?  Maybe this is why Nielsen feels so compelled
to tell us what we know.  So give him a break, already.

geert lovink wrote:

> (Finally, the word is out:  Jacob Nielsen is a reborn media ecologist. So,
> you, attention thieves, shut up, and listen to Big Daddy Jacob... Ciao,
> Geert)
>
> Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox for August 11 is now online at:
>    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030811.html
 <...>

--
Best,
Michael

Michael H. Goldhaber

mgoldh@well.com
http://www.well.com/user/mgoldh/

What have I learned in all these years, by way of wisdom? Most
importantly, I would say the notion that we humans came into a world
without meaning, but we invented meaning; it is to us to give things,
including ourselves what meaning we choose to give, and though our power
to do that is not unlimited, it is the most difficult and most important
power we possess, a task we can never successfully assign to others, and
can hardly avoid, a task that is always open before us, and one in which
there are no predetermined right answers, and quite possibly not even
any absolutely wrong answers, much as I would like there to be. The
world is not a book we can read, but our very existence as humans makes
it a book we can--and inevitably do--write.