steven schkolne on Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:41:22 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> DNA and computers

hi nettimers, some of these comments about researcher's motivation have
hit a little close to home, and fundamentally contradict some of my
experience - i am just wrapping up my PhD on 3d interaction at Caltech
and based on my stint here i'd have to say that this corporate drive is
not so strong on campus, especially in Erik Winfree's dna computation
group (http://dna.caltech.edu).  i have worked closely with erik over
the past couple years and i have known few as motivated by curiosity and
pure investigation for it's own sake as erik and others in his lab are.

the professors and students at caltech could all earn a lot more money
if they went into industry.  tie-ins with industry are often trumpeted
in grant applications and some press releases, but this is almost always
justification of a subject that is interesting for its own sake.
 usually the fundamental research is a done deal 1-2 years before this
spin even gets thought about.  sometimes researchers are motivated by
power, the idea of a cultural transition brought about by their
technology, but this is rarely tied to short-term economic reward -- i
do not know of a single project at caltech that has a "direct money
reward" attached to it.  usually professors leave campus for a bit when
they want to make money on something, look at carver mead's VLSI work,
foveon cameras, and such -- this commercially-oriented work is done with
little involvement on campus.

all this talk about nano seems deeply rooted in pop science, and much
like the rage about fractals, chaos, virtual reality, etc., i see that
science/tech moves virtually independently of this cultural force.
 nanotech could be a $1 trillion industry in 2015.  or perhaps it is an
had been a huge industry for centuries... the smallest stuff is always a
huge industry, and over time we can make smaller and smaller things....
 surprise surprise....

steven

Eduardo Navas wrote:

> [...]
 <...>