nettime's_incredible_shrinking_man on Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:21:55 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> it's a small world after all digest [navas, neopygmee, dominguez, porculus]

"Eduardo Navas" <eduardo@navasse.net>
     Re: <nettime> DNA and computers
neopygmee <neopygmee@pi.be>
     health effects of nano particles
"ricardo dominguez" <rdom@thing.net>
     Re: <nettime> DNA and computers
"porculus" <porculus@wanadoo.fr>
     Re: <nettime> DNA and computers

From: "Eduardo Navas" <eduardo@navasse.net>
Subject: Re: <nettime> DNA and computers
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 03:00:53 -0600

----- Original Message -----
from: "steven schkolne" <steven@schkolne.com

> hi nettimers, some of these comments about researcher's motivation have
> hit a little close to home, and fundamentally contradict some of my
> experience - i am just wrapping up my PhD on 3d interaction at Caltech
> and based on my stint here i'd have to say that this corporate drive is
> not so strong on campus, especially in Erik Winfree's dna computation
> group (http://dna.caltech.edu).  i have worked closely with erik over
> the past couple years and i have known few as motivated by curiosity and
> pure investigation for it's own sake as erik and others in his lab are.
>
> the professors and students at caltech could all earn a lot more money
> if they went into industry.  tie-ins with industry are often trumpeted
> in grant applications and some press releases, but this is almost always
> justification of a subject that is interesting for its own sake.
------------------

My response:

By no means was there an attempt to implicate Cal Tech in a negative manner.
I was merely reporting what my experience had been during my visit.  The
fact that during the lecture the director kept mentioning the friction
between getting funding and spending time doing research was no illusion.
And the constant reference to commercial  implementation was also very
pronounced from one project to another.  Even though I will admit there was
no specific corporation was brought up, the researchers kept mentioning
commercial ways of application.  But maybe, perhaps, this was done to help
the "layman" (that would be me) better understand how the research could be
useful for the world at large.
---------------

Steven Schkolne also stated:
> all this talk about nano seems deeply rooted in pop science, and much
> like the rage about fractals, chaos, virtual reality, etc., i see that
> science/tech moves virtually independently of this cultural force.
-----------------

my response:

Well, this might be true only if Science did not need funding.  Let's take a
look at a premise which explains the role of myth  (or pop science as you
call it) relating to the compromise of Science and the rise of Capital.
This particular quote deals with how scientific research is justified as a
"folk tale" or myth to the mass public (via articles like the one I
originally posted) in order to attain proper validation and eventually more
funding:

"First, the popular stories themselves recount what could be called positive
or negative apprenticeships (bildungen): in other words, the successes or
failures greeting the hero's undertakings.  These successes or failures
either bestow legitimacy upon social institutions (the functions of myths),
or represent positive or negative models (the successful or unsuccessful
hero) of integration into established institutions (legends and tales).
Thus the narratives allow the society in which they are told, on the one
hand, to define its criteria of competence and on the other, to evaluate
according to those criteria what is performed or can be performed within
it."[1]

This quote is preceded by a set of statements by Jean Francois Lyotard, in
which he explains the tension between science and oral narratives.  His
basic premise is that science has always tried to get away from folk tales
in order to attain objectivity, yet this one is always ready to rely on
folklore whenever there is need for validation, more specifically for
funding.  Here is another quote dealing with TV appearances, this time
examining the same tension only now he is reinterpreting it in terms of a
non-narrative (scientific analysis) within a narrative (pop science):

"... A crude proof of this: what do scientists do when they appear on
television or are interviewed in the newspapers after making a 'discovery'?
they recount an epic of knowledge that is in fact wholly unepic.  They play
by the rules of the narrative game; its influence remains considerable not
only on the users of the media, but also on the scientist's  sentiments.
This fact is neither trivial not accessory: it concerns the relationship of
scientific knowledge to 'popular' knowledge, or what is left of it.  The
state spends large amounts of money to enable science to pass itself off as
an epic: the state's own credibility is based on that epic, which it uses to
obtain the public consent its decision makers need." [2]

So perhaps, we should not be too quick to dismiss popular tales, because
these days popular stories amount to money.  Such is the compromise that the
necessity for machines brought about for science, which today is known as
funding.[3]  I believe that what I witnessed during my visit to Cal Tech was
nothing but proof of such a compromise.

I truly respect science, but such compromise as described above may,
unfortunately, be real.   I do hope you take my statements with my most
honest sincerity.

Eduardo Navas
http://navasse.net
http://netartreview.net

[1]  Jean-Francois Lyotard, The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge
(Minneapolis: Minnesota, 1984), 18
[2] Ibid., pp.27-28
[3] Ibid., p. 44