Peter Lunenfeld on Fri, 19 Sep 2003 06:18:41 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Your question

On 9/18/03 7:06 AM, "Are Flagan" <areflagan@transcodex.net> wrote:

> Final sentence from: Lev Manovich, Don't Call it Art: Ars Electronica 2003
>
> "Today, when pretty much every artist and cultural producer is widely using
> computers while also typically being motivated by many other themes and
> discourses, is it in fact possible that "digital art" happens everywhere
> else but not within the spaces of Ars Electronica festival?"
>
> Good question. But likewise, today, when pretty much every theorist and
> writer on digital culture is widely quoting the same texts, while typically
> also being motivated by quite transparent, self-serving agendas, is it in
> fact possible that "new media theory" happens everywhere else but not within
> the claustrophobic spaces of events and writings thus headlined?
>
> -af

Dear Are --

Good question, wrong example. One of the things I've always liked about Lev
Manovich's work is precisely the fact that he doesn't quote the same texts
over and over again. There's a posse full of academics happy to download
Benjamin, Baudrillard or Deleuze all over you at the drop of a bitform, but
Lev's not one of them. As for self-serving agendas, love the sinner, hate
the sin.

Transparently Yours --

Peter Lunenfeld