Michael Connor on Tue, 30 Sep 2003 05:56:06 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Request to Nettime to be part of DISTRIBUTED CREATIVITY online forum with Eyebeam

Beth,

Practically speaking, you're asking two questions: one, will members of the
Nettime list have anything to say about whatever topic you propose for your
online forum? and two, can you redistribute the responses? The answers:

1) You are free to propose any discussion topic to this list that you like.
Sometimes nobody picks up on it, sometimes you can't get people to shut up.

2) If you want to follow US copyright law, you must seek permission from
each individual writer before redistributing any single post from Nettime,
either online or in print. Even though Nettime (prescriptively?) adds
guidelines for re-use at the bottom of each post on this list,
redistribution rights still rest with the individual author (for both
commercial and non-commercial purposes). This is why there will never be a
Slashdot book, for example - much of the content on that website was written
by anonymous authors and the rights can not be secured.

Luckily we all have each other's email addresses, so although your idea is
not impossible, it will create a lot of administrative work. For the Eyebeam
publicity materials, I don't think you could legitimately announce that
Nettime is an 'invited participant'. Maybe you could say 'this month in the
forum, our spotlight is on nettime' or something like that. But if you want
to use that, you'll have to ask for my permission ;-)

Copyright 2003
All rights reserved by the author