Michael H Goldhaber on Fri, 3 Oct 2003 23:15:56 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> A Puff Piece on Wikipedia (Fwd)

If Locke, Voltaire, Diderot, Montesquieu, and D'Alembert were all in the
habit of publishing anonymously, why is it their names are so familiar (and
attached to their writings,usually) some 250 years later? Was anonymity
merely a ploy, with clues provided somehow for true authorship? In the case
of Voltaire, we know this was a 'pen-name.' Was it affixed to his work, and
if not, what use would a pen-name have been?

Michael H. Goldhaber

Keith Hart wrote:

> I have been intrigued by this thread for the light it throws on the
> question of authorial anonymity. I have been reading a book by Christopher
> Kelly, Rousseau as Author: consecrating one's life to the truth (Chicago
> University Press, 2003), especially the hilarious first chapter,
> Responsible and irresponsible authors, with section titles including
> Naming names, Anonymity and responsibility, etc. It seems that Locke,
 <...>