nettime's mechanical typewriter on Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:23:21 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> What *ARE* New Media? [4x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> What *ARE* New Media?
     noah wardrip-fruin <nwf@brown.edu>

   Coining
     "Daniel Young" <danielyoung@rcn.com>

   Re: <nettime> What *ARE* New Media?
     Frank Wales <frank@limov.com>

   Re: <nettime> What *ARE* New Media?
     Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 15:28:11 -0400
From: noah wardrip-fruin <nwf@brown.edu>
Subject: Re: <nettime> What *ARE* New Media?

At 12:56 PM -0400 10/11/03, Newmedia@aol.com wrote:
>As the fellow who "coined" the term NEW MEDIA (circa 1990, in preparation
>for the America Online IPO, whereupon Steve Case awarded me this email
>address), I have often been asked -- So what the HECK is (er, are) New
>Media, anyway?

"Simulations and games, in many forms and for many subjects, are
among the most recent innovations in instructional technique. Some
are hardly 'new media,' however, because they are as simple and
familiar as card or board games." (p.93)

- - James A. Robinson, "Simulation and Games." In _The New Media and
Education_, edited by Peter H. Rossi and Bruce J. Biddle. Aldine
Publishing, Chicago, 1966.
http://www.getcited.org/pub/101220511