Kevin Hamilton on Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:22:05 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Mitchell++ @ aa - placing us into...

Ugh. more tripe from "the architect." Somebody send in Neo. Thanks for
the report, Alex.

It is unbelievable to me that Mitchell in his books maintains the old
gnostic body-mind separation. We are social in his books only because
we are users, not because we have bodies, and there is no recognition
of the kind of ambiguity of self and body and people like Haraway have
injected into the old avant-gardist polemics over the last 40 years.
Thank god for feminist criticism, which finally got some face time for
pointing out the universalizing tendencies of these kind of mappings of
the material and informational world.

Like many of Wired Magazine's tired tirades, Mitchell's "e-topian"
"critiques" take the form of hand-wringing in favor of linear progress,
without raising any serious questions about the foundations of such
analyses in anti-corporeal gnosticism. At least McLuhan acknowledged
the mystical origins of his philosophy (student of Ong, a Jesuit), and
was even of his time in that way. At least Marinetti acknowledged the
violence inherent in such oppostions.

Mitchell's stuff is spectacular, and dangerous. In the end, I suspect
it keeps body and mind separate for the same reasons Wired Magazine
does - consumerism depends on it.