nettime's_toy_canon on Fri, 5 Mar 2004 06:58:10 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> readers digest [ebner, andy, moretti]

Re: <nettime> what would be nettime's reading list?
     Jorn Ebner <j.ebner@britishlibrary.net>
     andy@remotelinux.com
Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement
     ben moretti <benmoretti@yahoo.com.au>

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:59:22 +0000
Subject: Re: <nettime> what would be nettime's reading list?
From: Jorn Ebner <j.ebner@britishlibrary.net>

> (Would it include Empire, Crowds and Power, Male Fantasies, a Foucault,
> Ahrendt or even Deleuze? How much history (of science)? How much would
> politically correct and which titles would really be useful? Geert)

my friend Alan reckons that The Catcher in The Rye is easily the best
book ever. I'd disagree: however, it did once fit into a coach journey
from London to Hamburg. The other day, Italo Calvino's The Nonexistent
Knight & Cloven Viscount, published in one volume, were too short to
fit into a coach journey from Newcastle to London and back again.

when I recommended to Alan to read White Noise, he could not bear Don
DeLillo, saying he was too clever-clever, instead, he raved about The
Corrections which I choose to ignore. Writing is more interesting to me
when it attempts to achieve something with writing, formally - or, if
it is realist, then at least it should attempt to clarify the muddled
nonsense of existence rather than spin a yarn or reflect on the fabrics
of society. Sometimes this is interesting when it describes a different
society from the one around. Then the problem occurs whether I want to
trust the writer.

lists of writing are also problematic in terms of availability: the
city's public library in Newcastle doesn't hold anything that is
vaguely obscure, like Dos Passos; the university's library doesn't have
updated collections of French writers such as Robbe-Grillet (the
collection breaks off somewhere in the 1980s) and hardly anything by
Marguerite Duras who has published extensively. The university even has
a French Department...

i can't read French, hence I depend on translations. I am lucky that I
can read them in two languages: in English there are a few novels by
Duras translated and currently available, even more are available in
German; Robbe-Grillet has only a few books in print in the UK, and even
less in Germany.

in the opening sentences of Extinction, Thomas Bernhard's narrator
gives his private pupil Gambetti, amongst others one of Bernhard's
early short works to read: Amras. I would have given him Bernhard's Old
Masters which I recommend to students, only in the UK you have to be
lucky to find it in bookshops as it is only published in English
translation by American publishers. Public libraries could provide it
if you lived in Kensington, central London. The German of course would
be better anyway, as the rhythm of the language works better in the
original, and the sublety of existential humour is more refined. In the
book, the focal character comes regularly to a museum to search out the
errors old masters made. 'El Greco could not even paint hands properly!'

some writing I could not recommend to students in the UK, because it
just isn't in translation: Gert Hoffmann's Blindensturz, which is told
by the three blind men from a Breugel painting. Another one, Abfall
fuer Alle by Rainald Goetz, is probably even untranslateable, as the
cultural references in this book - first published as a daily online
log during 1999 - are most likely to be only understood by people
living in Germany. However, it is one of the most exciting books I ever
read, that proposes artictic / literary positions as well as providing
a document of a whole year, both personal and political-objective (as
in: accessible to understanding by a broad readership) at the same time.

i guess that the beauty of mailing lists such as nettime is that
readers of books in languages other than English can report on writing
that is exciting but unavailable in mainstream of translated
Anglo-American publishing. Hence there cannot be a Reading List as this
list composes of all the individual reading lists that could
potentially be pooled here. The lists would be a reading collection
rather than a canon (which might become at least temporary canon,
reflecting current fashions of interest) or list. However, as English
is the Lingua Franca here, it will never really transcend its realm of
language and by default miss out on other possibly exciting writing be
that scientific, artistic, or otherwise.

Jorn