geert on Sun, 14 Mar 2004 07:25:46 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Alan N. Shapiro: Star Trek Technologies-Technologies of Disappearance

From: Alan Shapiro <AlanShapiro@compuserve.com>

Out now: Alan Shapiro, Star Trek--Technologies of Disappearance

(Avinus Verlag, Frankfurt am Main, 2004--in English)

http://www.avinus.de/html/demnachst.html

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3930064162/qid=1079184400/sr=2-1/ref=
sr_aps_prod_1_1/028-8533445-2042956

Our society dreams of making Star Trek's technologies real. Scientists,
computer technologists and science fiction media fans strive to bring to
fruition:

· the transporter with quantum entanglement
· interstellar space travel with faster-than-light speed
· time travel with fabricated wormholes
· the Holodeck as the Holy Grail of virtual reality
· universal communication with the Klingon Language
· cyborgs and androids with artificial intelligence
· contact with aliens as the future that must take place

But does Star Trek's worldview coincide with the unbridled high-tech
enthusiasm of recent years? Or is there a tension between the show's
originality and the Borg-like assimilation of its creativity by the Star
Trek industry? Focusing on the stories themselves, the author reveals the
basic principles behind Star Trek that contest the ideology of mainstream
technoscience, consumer culture, and liberal humanism promoted by Paramount
Pictures.

Bringing together the passion of a true fan and an intellectual reflection
on science, technology and media culture, Star Trek: Technologies of
Disappearance explains the real reasons for Star Treks global mass appeal
for the very first time. The encounter between thought and a popular
subject mutually transforms both, and brings about genuine movement in
ideas.

Alan N. Shapiro was born in New York City and studied at MIT and Cornell
University. He has lived in Germany since 1991, and has fifteen years
professional experience as a software developer. He also taught sociology
at New York University.

* * * *

Table of Contents:

Acknowledgments
Introduction

Chapter 1 THE FIRST VIRTUAL REALITY
        The Menagerie [The Original Series 1]
        Shore Leave [The Original Series 1]
        [Enter the Holodeck]
        Ship in a Bottle [The Next Generation 6]

Chapter 2 THE LAST COMPUTER
        A Taste of Armageddon [The Original Series 1]
        The Ultimate Computer [The Original Series 2]

Chapter 3 THE TRANSPORTER
        The Enemy Within [The Original Series 1]
        [How the Transporter "Really Works"]

Chapter 4 SYMBOLIC EXCHANGE
        Arena [The Original Series 1]
        Darmok [The Next Generation 5]
        [The Klingon Language]
        Metamorphosis [The Original Series 2]

Chapter 5 TIME TRAVEL
        The City on the Edge of Forever [The Original Series 1]
        [Ellison Challenges Roddenberry]
        All Our Yesterdays [The Original Series 3]
        Year of Hell [Voyager 4]

Chapter 6 WORMHOLE
        Emissary [Deep Space Nine 1]
        [The Physics of Wormholes]

Chapter 7 CYBORG SPOCK
        This Side of Paradise [The Original Series 1]
        [NASA's Cyborg]
        The Devil in the Dark [The Original Series 1]
        Amok Time [The Original Series 2]

Chapter 8 ANDROID DATA
        Datalore [The Next Generation 1]
        [Android Epistemology]
        The Measure of a Man [The Next Generation 2]
        The Offspring [The Next Generation 3]

Chapter 9 BECOMING-BORG SEVEN OF NINE
        Scorpion [Voyager 3/4]
        The Raven [Voyager 4]