nettime's_cheeseburger_to_go! on Thu, 18 Mar 2004 02:49:01 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> america went thataway digest [miller, griffis]

Re: <nettime> America and it's discontents
     "E. Miller" <subscriptionbox@squishymedia.com>
     Ryan Griffis <grifray@yahoo.com>

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:26:48 -0800
Subject: Re: <nettime> America and it's discontents

Just to clarify: the first quote is a Samuel Huntington quote.  The second
quote is from a Sierra Club member.  The second quote should not be
construed as a continuation of the first quote, gender-specific pronoun
aside.

People may or may not agree with Huntington's 'clash of civilizations'
thesis but he has raised very challenging questions about ideological
conflict;  we'd do well to consider his points and not to demonize him by
association.

Eric

On 3/16/04 3:37 PM, "Ryan Griffis" <grifray@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "The single most immediate and most serious challenge
> to America's traditional identity," Huntington writes,
> "comes from the immense and
> continuing immigration from Latin America, especially
> Mexico, and the fertility rates of these immigrants."
> http://www.hispanicvista.com/html4/031404bc.htm
>
> 'In a column about Hmong immigrants on that site, she
> wrote, "So will thousands of drug-addicted polygamists
> be welcomed into America in another escalation of
> multiculturalism against American values?"'
> http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/16/national/16SIER.html
 <...>