Pam Sykes on Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:57:01 +0200 (CEST)

RE: <nettime> Images and Official Language: The Gap or How not to Know

Interesting support from Gary Young, writing in the Guardian this morning:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1228169,00.html

Politics has, to an extent, always been about the triumph of symbols over
substance and assertion over actuality. But in the case of Iraq this trend
seems to have reached its apogee, as though statements by themselves can
fashion reality by the force of their own will and judgment. Declaration
and proclamation have become everything. The question of whether they bear
any relation to the world we actually live in seems like an unpleasant and
occasionally embarrassing intrusion. The motto of the day both in Downing
Street and the White House seems to be: "To say it is so is to make it
so." These people are rewriting history before the ink on the first draft
is even dry.