nettime's cuban middle class on Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:44:22 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Choking Fidel and Us [3x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> Choking Fidel and Us
     "porculus" <porculus@wanadoo.fr>

   Re: <nettime> Choking Fidel and Us
     Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com>

   Re: <nettime> Choking Fidel and Us
     Ian Dickson <ian@iand.demon.co.uk>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 15:50:10 +0200
From: "porculus" <porculus@wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Choking Fidel and Us

> History shows that economic sanctions do not hurt the leaders, only the
> ordinary people.

ok

> If you want to bring stable democracy to a country , the best thing
> seems to be to encourage the growth of a solid middle class.

ok

> So, it would be really good if people made a point of going to Cuba,
> trading with Cuba in all areas, but try to stay entirely in the private
> sector when doing so (esp small family companies - guest houses,
> drivers, tradespeople) so that your money goes to the people not to the
> dictatorship.

unstopable

> Friends of mine have been to Cuba. Their advice, (and note that they
> spoke reasonable Spanish) - avoid the resorts, (unless you really do
> want a hermetically sealed beach holiday), go independent with a car,
> pick up hitchhikers, and have some very interesting meetings.
>
> I'd like to think that some Cubans would read this, but I gather that
> Internet access is a tad limited there as the gvt isn't too keen on the
> subversive possibilities that it offers.
>
> So - give Solidarity to Cubans, not Castro. Spend your money wisely.

'Whatever we conceive well we express clearly, and words flow with ease'

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:51:27 -0500
From: Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com>

Ian Dickson <ian@iand.demon.co.uk> writes:

> In message <200406172138.i5HLcBF13113@bbs.thing.net>, John Young
> <jya@pipeline.com> writes
>>
>>The Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control has issued for
>>public comment new restrictions on travel to Cuba with increased penalties
>>for violations. The proclaimed intent is to harm Cuba's economy by
>>reducing income from tourism and educational travel.
>>

> If you want to bring stable democracy to a country , the best thing
> seems to be to encourage the growth of a solid middle class.

To evaluate this, we must understand what a "middle class" is.

The "middle-class" are more economically stable and have sufficient
income to support a level of consumption higher than another group,
the poor.  So the best thing for Cuban democracy is introducing a
level of economic disparity similiar to what the U.S. and other
"stable democracies" with a "middle-class" have?

This seems at odds with my understanding of democracy being founded
upon political and economic equity.  Perhaps you do not see economic
equity as an essential part of a stable democracy?  To quote Lee
Perry, "as long as rich and poor, they still exist, there will be no
peace."  I think this applies to nations as well.  As long as there
are poor, especially if the gap between rich and poor is huge, and the
number of poor massive in relation to the rich, there will be no
domestic peace.  That means no stable democracy.

It is also seems at odds which what is happening in the "stable
democracies", where the "middle class" is being destroyed.  At least
that is what is happening in the U.S. with a replacement of what used
to be "middle class" jobs with McJobs.  As a result, the US
middle-class level of consumption, is supported by a the growth of
private debt.  That is not sustainable, and is a real threat to any
remnant of democracy one might think exists in the US.

I also think the real conditions of the cuban economy, depending upon
imports, with few natural resources to exploit, preclude a "middle
class" with any stability.  I imagine the stability of the
middle-class is essential to the stability of the democracy.

I agree with your intention of solidarity with the people of Cuba.
However, I think that you should check your own attempt to solve their
problem by promoting more economic disparity in their society.  It
seems to me an attempt to reproduce in their culture, that which you
know, a middle class existence.  That is not a strong basis for real
solidarity.

- --
Sincerely, Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com>
Kontact -- http://www.red-bean.com/kontact/wiki.cgi