Felix Stalder on Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:23:48 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> "Content Flatrate" and the Social Democracy of the Digital Commons

This is a pretty good, if partisan, summary of the discussion and it
highlights what is one of the most fundamental, and I would agree troubling,
differences between the CreativeCommons and the 'flatrate' approach. CC
relies on a bottom-up strategy that can start right here and right now. No
need to wait for 'them' to do something before 'you' can get going.

The flatrate proposal has, in its implementation, strong top-down aspects. You
cannot start it small and you cannot start on your own. This is where the
EFF's voluntary proposal is fundamentally flawed.

In terms of process, this is a problem, and process matters a lot if you don't
know where you are headed -- and I think it's pretty save to say that
nobodies really knows how things will shape up in this area. It's all trial
and error.

However, the critique is based three very questionable assumptions.

First. In terms of network design, Rasmus, again and again, equates the system
architecture with the application that will run on the system. The system has
centralized aspects, hence the application and the effect of these
applications will be centralizing. Yet, if you look at it, there is no direct
relationship between network design and application effects. Take, as an
example, the railroad network. It's highly centralized, yet it's social
effects were decentralizing. Take electronic networks. Their architecture is
decentralized on some levels, centralized on others and the effects are
centralizing control and decentralizing execution, at least in the
economy[1]. Now what does that have to do with Rasmus argument, one might
ask.

Rasmus argues that because of the top-down aspects of the proposal, the effect
will be as top down. It will only make the mega-corps richer. Well, it
doesn't. Take the situation today. What does an artist really need a label
for? Distributing CDs and collecting money. And for this, the bigger is the
better. Small labels would like to do that, but there are structural reasons
that favor economies of scale, not the least, because you need a large
apparatus to distribute stuff and collect money. The p2p networks are great
at doing the first, but lousy at doing the latter. Hence, the majors lost
control only over distribution, not over compensation and as long as this
situation persists, they hold some important cards.

Now, when it comes to compensation, they do a really poor job, but the key is,
they are still better than anyone else. And this is the reason why they still
exist and why few musicians are outright fans of p2p. If you can wrestle
control over the other half also away from the majors, their lease on life as
expired for good. Then we will have a situation where smaller labels will
prosper because they can concentrate on doing what they do best -- support
talent -- while not being structurally disadvantaged when it comes to
compensating talent. In this perspective, an network architecture that has
top-down aspects can have a decentralizing effect.

Second. Most artist don't make any money today, why should they make any
tomorrow.

> Cultural producers are making their living in a true multitude of ways.
> The sale of reproductions is just one. People have other jobs part- or
> full-time, they have subsidies of different kinds, some are students,
> many get money by performing live and giving lessons. In general,
> "workfare"-type political measures on the labor market [22] is a far
> bigger threat against most artists than any new reproduction technique.

Great, working 8 hours at McDonald's so you can produce free culture in your
spare time. Or perhaps free culture is only for those lucky enough to have
high-paying jobs that give them free time (like high-end programmers?).

I personally don't like the situations -- and I'm sure most of us know them --
where everyone gets paid except the artists. How many artists show their
stuff without compensation in museums and kunsthallen? How many curators work
there for free? How many printers print the fancy catalogues for free? How
many janitors do?

You get the drift. There is a clear imbalance, and one that gets legitimized
with some outmoded mystique about creative work being rewarding in and off
itself. OK, artists don't get paid in cash, but, hey, they are showered with
symbolic capital!

It is not that a 'new reproduction technique' is threatening the artists.
What's happening desite deep technological change, the situation is not
changing. All that empowering, and, yes, decentralizing potential of new
media has stopped just where the money would have started. Hm.

Also, demanding that the welfare state cross-subsidizes the production of
culture through a generous system of unemployment insurance is not only not
particularly realistic, but also a strange in a text that uses 'social
democracy' with such pejorative undertones. I find it hard to tell where
social democracy ends and the welfare state starts and it seems no
co-incidence that they are going down together.

Third. Technology is going to do the work for us. The media conglomerates are
already obsolete and dead, they just haven't noticed. And what killed them,
p2p, perhaps even wireless p2p.

Am I sceptical about 'the revolutionary potential of p2p'? No, and yes. No, in
the sense that it really is a new architecture for distributing material and
one that has no immediate position for a centralized gatekeeper. Yes, I am
sceptical that the technology, in and off itself, will be socially
progressive, in the banal sense of giving more people control over their down
destiny. p2p is not progressive, per se. In the same sense that free software
is not progressive, per se, but can also be a great system to separate the
highly productive from the less efficient ones. Like always, it's a great
system for talented one.

Part of that control over one's destiny is being able to make a living from
what one likes to do. And the discussion about the flatrate is, in my view, a
discussion about how to contribute to that.

Felix

[1] Peer-to-Peer and the Promise of Internet Equality
http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/pagre/peer.html