andrew on Mon, 9 Aug 2004 04:11:13 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Art of Sweatshops

We should make an analysis of the term "minimum wage," as it is not a
living wage.  Minimize wage, lower labour costs and increase
production- the traditional mantra of profit...

Since we are describing wage sufficiency for the domesticity of a
European/US family vs. a family indigenous to another culture,  we may
want to consider the necessary level of waste built into the system
(consumerism) or dependency (supermarket shopping vs. growing you own
food) under capitalist structures.    And should we then also attribute
work not usually tied to capital in the support of this domesticity
(care-giving, domestic maintenance, food production, etc. and other
communal projects) that go uncalculated and may be culturally
particular?

Family/domestic unit may also not be so narrowly defined cross
culturally as well.

This is a problematic of power- The U.S. and Europe like the world's
gated communities?