Richard Joly on Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:40:05 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Reflections on America after the election [2x]

Some are already planning the *next* election.

Richard Joly
============================

http://www.advocate.com/new_news.asp?id=14328&sd=11/11/04

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Falwell plans for "evangelical revolution" Seeking to take advantage of
the momentum from an election in which "moral values" proved politically
motivating to a large percentage of voters, the Reverend Jerry Falwell
announced Tuesday he has formed a new coalition to guide an "evangelical
revolution."

Falwell, a conservative Christian broadcaster based in Lynchburg, Va.,
said the Faith and Values Coalition will be a "21st-century resurrection
of the Moral Majority," the organization he founded in 1979. Falwell said
he would serve as the coalition's national chairman for four years. He
added that the new group's mission will be to lobby for antiabortion
conservatives to fill openings on the Supreme Court and lower courts, a
constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, and the election of
another "George Bush-type" conservative in 2008.

"We all, for the first time, began to realize the potential of religious
conservatives, particularly evangelicals, when something over 30 million
of them went to the polls," he said, noting that most supported the
president and antiabortion candidates and voted to approve initiatives
banning gay marriage in 11 states across the country.

Also, a decision by the Massachusetts supreme court allowing same-sex
marriages "helped energize our people," Falwell said. And when San
Francisco mayor Gavin Newsom began performing marriages for gay couples,
it "really caught the attention of people of faith in this country, and
what we have been saying could happen actually happened," he said. "The
timing could not have been better. That, along with the abortion issues
and the terrorism issue, helped us to get our people awakened."

Falwell said that while overseeing the coalition he will leave day-to-day
operations of Liberty University and Thomas Road Baptist Church, both of
which he founded, to his sons Jerry Jr., 42, and Jonathan, 38. Mathew
Staver, founder of the conservative legal group Liberty Counsel in
Orlando, Fla., will be the coalition's vice chairman; Jonathan Falwell
will be its executive director. Theologian Tim LaHaye will be the board
chairman.