Tilman Baumgaertel on Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:58:19 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Txting culture in the Philippines, pt 2

Interview with Prof. Milagros Carreon-Laurel, University of the Philippines

Milagros Carreon-Laurel is Professor for English at the University of the
Philippines and is currently doing research on the development of
English(es) in SMS-exchanges among Filippinos

?: Please point out some instances in which the use of cell phones in the
Philippines is different from other countries.

Laurel: I have read that in some foreign countries people make more voice
calls on their mobile phones than here. In countries where the writing
system requires a different script or character which the phone probably
does not provide for, for example, the message must first be encoded in
the Roman alphabet. This would require more time than just simply making a
voice call. Filipino phone users do not have a problem with this. In
countries where voice calls are not so expensive, people do not mind
paying a little more for the convenience. In the Philippines, texting
became popular because of economic reasons. It costs only one peso to send
a message, while a voice call can cost 6 pesos and more. The overseas
workers, I understand, do spend a regular part of their income to buy
pre-paid cards to be able to get in touch with their family through
texting.  Then they don't have to make expensive long-distance calls. A
lot of our young kids use their cell phones in very noisy places too, like
at parties or on the bus, and by texting they can continue to talk with
their friends via the mobile. And nobody else would hear what they are
talking about. So apart from the fact that text messaging is cheaper, it
also allows for private communication in public places.  Even the person
next to you won't have hear the "conversation" taking place on the phone.

?: So apart from the fact that it is cheaper you would also say that it
caters to a need for privacy?

Laurel: Yes. Some people have been able to tell other people things that
they might not be able to tell them face to face. Not with their voices,
because texting "hides" the message sender. I read from a magazine article
that in some instances cell phones have been used to fire people. They are
being used for break ups or make ups. Another thing that attracts people
to texting is that they can use language in a creative way. Text messages
come between oral and written discourse. And because you can only type 160
characters on most phones, you have to use abbreviations and shortcuts.
And since only eight letters of the alphabet appear on the screen with
just one stroke on the keypad, everything that saves you time writing is
welcome. People see these limitations as a challenge. It allows for
creativity and playfulness and it gives people the opportunity to say
ordinary things in new ways. My own children first took to the cell phone,
when they discovered the fancy graphics, such as this (shows some
ASCII-art-style text-images on her phone). These are mostly forwarded
messages. They are interesting. The phone companies themselves must have
produced a number of these in order to make more money.  And there are
dozens of books that publish just these types of messages. Many of them do
not work on the new phones though, because they have a different screen.
The ones on my phone were made for the good old 3210, but they are not the
same on the screens of the new phones.

?: In a paper you wrote on texting in the Philippines you remarked that
this playful way of using language in texting is a way of "colonizing" the
English language. Could you elaborate on that?

Laurel: I was quoting from a colleague who said that during a forum at the
De La Salle University. There are several Englishes existing side by side.
There are Asian Englishes - Hongkong English, Singapore English, Indian
English, Philippine English. Even without text messaging, we use the
language the way we see fit. Even the native speakers of English would be
quick to say, that "ours is no longer the only English." For example, in
the Philippines the word "salvage" is often used in tabloids not to mean
that somebody was saved, as in Standard English. In the Philippines it
means that somebody was killed, exactly the opposite of its original
dictionary meaning.  But the Filipinos understand each other.

We are expressing ourselves in the language the way we see fit and in a
way we find convenient. In text messaging we are not very conscious about
grammar and spelling and things like that. In this way, text messaging is
almost like oral communication, because it is so spontaneous. I mean, how
many text senders actually edit their messages? Do you bother to go
through the message again to correct a mistake?

?: So do you think that "texting English" will sooner or later influence
the spoken English in the Philippines?

Laurel: I teach a course on the history of the English language.
Considering all the changes that English had gone through from 449 we
wouldn't even recognize many of the words they used then, which at that
time was THE English. Modern English continues to change, in the same way
that some of the words that were informal usage then have become standard
usage. It is not impossible that terms that we now classify as just "text
message words" might show up in more formal use later.

?: Do you see any signs of that already?

Laurel: Yesterday I looked at a new "Cambridge Dictionary" at the
bookstore, and I found three interesting new entries. First there was
"CU", and it said "Internet abbreviation for 'See you', a way of saying
good-bye in email and text messages." It also contained "BTW" which means
"by the way" and "FYI," "for your information". What is curious about
this, is that the University Press Syndicate of Cambridge is the publisher
of this dictionary. The entries have therefore been, in a way,
legitimized.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----------------

Interview with Niel de Mesa

Niel de Mesa is the author of the play "SubText", which has been running
at the Koine Theater for more than two years. The play, that deals with
the way people interact with each other in texting and face-to-face, won
the Don Carlos Palanca Award for Literature, an important price for
writers in the Philippines

?: Why is texting so popular in the Philippines?

De Massa: The first reason is of course because it is much cheaper than
making voice calls. The second reasons is that we Filipinos love to stay
in touch with everybody that we know almost constantly. That goes for
people in Manila, but even more for those who are in the provinces or
abroad. A lot of people are working overseas, and for them texting is the
cheapest way to communicate with their families at home. And thirdly, we
Filipinos love to meet new people and texting gives us the opportunity to
do so.

?: How does that work?

De Massa: Well, very much like on the Internet, you don't have to give
away too much information about yourself at first. You can just chat away
with total strangers, and if you do not like the way the conversation
goes, you can just get rid of them with one push of a button. I think that
is really sad because it allows for very superficial relations and a lot
of subtext is lost in these exchanges, which is very important in
communication among Filipinos.

?: I have the impression that here it is very important to be introduced
to other people. Filipinos are not used to get in contact with total
strangers, they prefer to get to know them via common friends. What role
does texting play in that?

De Massa: Texting is a way to get in touch with people, that you do not
know. It is called text mates. We consider it to be rude if somebody who
you do not know just addresses you like that in public. Filipinos also
prefer indirect messages in conversations. If you want to invite somebody
to have dinner for example, you have to invite him thrice! If you ask for
the first and second time, people assume that you are just being polite.
Only if you ask for the third time, they take the invitation serious. If
you ask a friend, if he wants to come to your party, and he cannot come,
he will not say "No." He will say: "I'll try." That is a way of
being considerate. You show that you at least will make an attempt to
come, even though if they say "I'll try", it is 99 percent safe that
they will not come. That makes the communication here sometimes very
difficult for foreigners, because they cannot read the subtle hints. If
you ask an American, for instance: "How are you doing?", he might just
say: "Well, I feel bad." Filipinos would not say something like
that

?: Your play "Subtext" is about the way people understand and
misunderstand each other on the cell phone.

De Massa:  We do not like to be frank. We use what anthropologist would
call "the soft approach". You have to be able to read what a person is
saying, because they are not telling you directly into your face, what
they are thinking. Especially on the cell phone and with texting, that can
create a lot of problems. Because even though we do not say directly what
we think, we are quick to react and go off on something that we hear. Some
people do not even bother to ask if what we said is really what we meant
and that can create a lot of miscommunication. That is what my play is
about. I think a lot of Filipinos are really artists and poets at heart,
and the only reason, why they do not make a profession out of it, is
because they cannot make a living out of it. But we love to use metaphors
and say things in a poetic way.

?: But with text messages, you only have 160 characters to say what you
want to say. That makes it a little hard to be poetic.

De Massa: Well, you have to be creative. There are a lot of abbreviations.
I am also a professor at De La Salle university, and I notice that
students increasingly use these abbreviations in their papers. "B4" is
"before= " etcetera. The way we write on the cell phone is also influenced
by the way we speak. We say "tenk your" instead of "Thank you", because we
do not have the "th" in Tagalog. So if people want to abbreviate "thanks",
they might write "tenks" instead of "thx".

You might have noticed that we use the Umlaut U (=DC) a lot in our texting
communications. We call it the "Smiling face". It is a way of making the
messages a little softer, a little less in your face. Then again this can
also lead to misunderstandings. So you have to be very careful with what
you write, because it can make people upset without you even noticing it.

?: Well, I hope, I haven't offended too many people with my text messages.
Do you think that Filipino culture is an oral or a literal culture?

De Massa: I would think it is primarily oral. People do not read a lot,
and word of mouth is very important. But texting is somewhere in between
speaking and literature. Because of the storage capacity of the cell
phones, people also like to keep important messages. We are nostalgic
people, we like to keep stuff. So the inbox of the cell phone has become
like this little file cabinet, where people keep their most private
conversations. It can also serve to remind people of what they said: "Here
look, you wrote this to me." Looking at the inbox of your partner is one
of the worst intrusions into his or her private life.