Alan Sondheim on Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:51:08 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Re: Short bibliography on analytical/digital thinking vis-a-vis semiotics

Hi Christina,

This site is tremendous; thank you for drawing it to my attention!

Sandy Baldwin, at the Center for Literary Computing, West Virginia, Mor-
gantown, has started a wiki to investigate both analog/digital and
codework phenomenology. Certainly the former is important (the latter
might just be considered a genre for example), since the term 'digital' is
used daily, without too much discussion or understanding of either the
philosophical issues or the political economy engendered by them. We talk
about the contestation of bandwidth for example, without much considera-
tion of the specific engineering, apparatus of translation, mediation,
phenomenology of mapping and raster, etc. involved - not to mention basic
issues of perception and mind at either ends of the channels.

There are two components to the wiki - one on digital/analog:

http://www.as.wvu.edu:8000/clc/projects/plaintext_tools/AnalogDigital
and one on codework:
http://www.as.wvu.edu:8000/clc/projects/plaintext_tools/Codework
both under the Plaintext_Tools page:
http://www.as.wvu.edu:8000/clc/projects/plaintext_tools/

So far I've been doing most of the text here; more participation is really
necessary. Any thinking on these issues, any bibliographic material, etc.,
would be incredibly valuable.

Within my own contribution, I've been looking at analog/digital in terms
of everyday life - how these "orders" are both problematic and manifest.
But I'm more interested in how these orders entangle at other levels - the
electronic, subatomic, cosmic, biological, neural, for example. I think
here the terms become increasingly useless, or idealities at best.
Entanglement is inextricable; for example, discussions of the "structure
of mind" tends to be futile as long as any sorts of defining character-
istics of a/d are held onto.

Obviously I may be way off base, and additional contributions would be
great.

- Alan

nettext http://biblioteknett.no/alias/HJEMMESIDE/bjornmag/nettext/
WVU 2004 projects: http://www.as.wvu.edu/clcold/sondheim/