Rick Bradley on Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:59:34 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> unix history

* z3118338@student.unsw.edu.au (z3118338@student.unsw.edu.au) [050328 07:51]:
> Anybody got any other sources that mght be complimentary to the Princeton one?
> I am particularly interseted in the role of the Unix Support  Group in
> "packaging" unix and the exact way in which it found its way to academia such
> as UNSW and Berkeley for example.

There are a number of UNIX historians whose work pre-dates Stallman's
GNU project.  You may find Peter Salus' work particularly interesting.
He still gives informative talks on UNIX history as well.  Depending
upon his schedule and yours you may be able to catch one of his talks.
His written notes, where available, are typically useful.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030715083528/technetcast.ddj.com/tnc_stream.html?stream_id=583

Rick
--
 http://www.rickbradley.com    MUPRN: 838
                       |  to try again this
   random email haiku  |  week. Hopefully I'll have