Kali Tal on Sun, 1 May 2005 12:14:08 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> governance on Poetics

I remember POETICS. It was one of the ground-breaking lists back in the
heady days of bitnet--a rare survivor, if one can call it that.  And the
langpo crowd (at least as it existed on POETICS) was indeed around at the
"foundation of new media poetics."  In fact, there was a lot a crossover
between the most exciting new media bitnet list--Tech(No)Culture--and
POETICS in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Pretty much all of those early
lists are dead or moribund at this point, and I'm not sure we can expect
anything else from them.  The convergences that made them initially
exciting are long past and the torch of innovation has passed to newer
lists and fora, as Alan mentions.  Like Jane Fonda (who was once young,
passionate, dangerous, and exciting too), POETICS lived on and simply got
less interesting, more distant from its radical roots, more pruned and
manicured, and more conservative over time. I'm not sure why POETICS,
among so many once challenging and exciting lists, is worth attacking at
this point, though I can understand and sympathize with Alan's frustration
and disappointment. I left POETICS years ago when the knee-jerk
conservatives started to make the place hell for experimental and
challenging artists and publishers.  When an innovation becomes an
institution, it's hardly worth the effort to try and save it.

The "free speech" critique seems both a hopeless endeavor and
inappropriate for email lists -- usually the fiefdom of some individual or
cabal of idiosyncratic owners (unless they are sprawling unmoderated
free-for-alls, and those have their own set of problems). I've always
looked to cummings When Good Lists Go Bad, told myself "there's a helluva
good universe next door," and gotten gone. No sense wasting energy on a
playing field that's built on a slant. I'm not arguing that established
lists like POETICS don't influence "the field" (whatever the area of focus
or study).  It's just that by the TIME they influence the field, they are,
like the journal of record, in the hands of those who have a vested
interest in the Status Quo. If you're going to be experimental (like
Alan), or challenging, or (like me) just "difficult," there's no place
that's comfortable to call home for long. Life is just one long moving on.

Kali Tal