Karl-Erik Tallmo on Sat, 21 May 2005 21:21:18 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Fwd: 800 pirates demonstrated in Stockholm on May

At 14.35 -0500 05-05-16, Craig Brozefsky wrote:

>Karl-Erik Tallmo <ketallmo@nisus.se> writes:
>
>>  If you strip away the purely economic aspects it is very much a question
>>  of privacy - protection of the integrity of both work and artist.
>
>This is like stripping away the "purely economic" aspects of law
>regarding natural resources.
 <...>

Nothing strange about that. Any textbook on copyright will show you
that it has these two aspects, the economic/pecuniary and the moral
rights aspect.

Just to return to my orginal objection in this thread: I think it is
wrong to look at copyright and privacy as conflicting notions. I
mentioned the Warren & Brandeis article from 1890. It is interesting
how they derive their views on privacy from the right of publication,
the authors right to decide when his/her intellectual products will
leave the private sphere and enter the public:

>  These considerations lead to the conclusion that the protection
>afforded to thoughts, sentiments, and emotions, expressed through
>the medium of writing or of the arts, so far as it consists in
>preventing publication, is merely an instance of the enforcement of
>the more general right of the individual to be let alone. It is like
>the right not be assaulted or beaten, the right not be imprisoned,
>the right not to be maliciously prosecuted, the right not to be
>defamed. In each of these rights, as indeed in all other rights
>recognized by the law, there inheres the quality of being owned or
>possessed -- and (as that is the distinguishing attribute of
>property) there may some propriety in speaking of those rights as
>property. But, obviously, they bear little resemblance to what is
>ordinarily comprehended under that term. The principle which
>protects personal writings and all other personal productions, not
>against theft and physical appropriation, but against publication in
>any form, is in reality not the principle of private property, but
>that of an inviolate personality.[32]

See http://www.lawrence.edu/fast/boardmaw/Privacy_brand_warr2.html

/Karl-Erik Tallmo

    KARL-ERIK TALLMO, writer, editor