Morlock Elloi on Sat, 19 Nov 2005 10:40:39 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Use of Computers in Preschools

The difference between using computer and toilet roll insert is that there are
several multibillion dollar corporations between movement of the mouse and
something happening on the screen in the first case, and pretty much nothing
between manipulating inserts and affecting reality in the second.

It's about immediacy and delegation.

The question is - do you want your progeny to become skillful in 'performing'
in the narrow world of proprietary computer simulations, or in dealing with
material object?

When making decisions, keep in mind that the physics of matter has been
relatively stable for the last 8 billion years, and that (with some skill) it's
possible to construct an effective weapon with toilet roll inserts and
pulverize a computer or someone's head. That's usually a more effective
bargaining strategy in reality than being an obedient keyboard drone.

>I'm not, I scream but my 3 year old will have to be an
>expert at building things with toilet roll inserts before he learns
>how to make some turtle move around the screen.

end
(of original message)

Y-a*h*o-o (yes, they scan for this) spam follows: