Patrice Riemens on Wed, 23 Nov 2005 04:33:38 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Paris Burning [u]

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 04:30:09PM -0500, Geert Lovink [c] wrote:

> may i add this interview with alain finkelkraut and a response by
canadian writer > edna paris? i found them on the just-watch list. i
really like this debate on > nettime, however the (relative) absence of
french postings slightly worries me. > maybe i am wrong. i understood
there was and still is debate on the nettime-fr > list. is that correct?
/geert

> > -- > > http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/646938.html > > Alain
Finkielkraut. "When an Arab torches a school, it's rebellion.  When a
white > guy does it, it's fascism. I'm 'color blind.' Evil is evil, no
matter what color > it is. And this evil, for the Jew that I am, is
completely intolerable." > (Hannah/Opale)

(...)

The title of the interview, at least the one given in the French
version, was in itself the programme:
"They are not unhappy, they are muslims" ('Ils ne sont pas malheureux,
ils sont musulmans')

In the 'elite racism' register, one may also note a forceful
contribution by (Prof Dr) Helene Carrere d'Encausse, 'perpetual
secretary' of the Academie Francaise, to the effect that 'African
polygamy', resulting in tribal overcrowding of the social housing
estates was to blame for the troubles. (But she said it - on TV - in
Moscow...)

The website of the French review 'Multitudes'
(http://multitudes.samizdat.net) has quite a collection of articles,
op-ed pieces, etc. devoted to the 'events' in the French banlieues:
http://multitudes.samizdat.net/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=655 ("sur la
revolte des banlieues"). A few are even in English (Slavoj Z's latest
musings eg)

Issue #23 of the review will have its 'majeure' (main feature) devoted
to "institutional racism", with contributions by Anne Querrien, Teun A.
van Dijk, Toni Negri, a.o., many promted by the recent revolt. It will
come out in January.

There has also been a lot of discussions on the Multitudes-infos list
(where I have re-posted Peter Lunenberg's and NAM's posts)

Also on the samizdat site: http://www.samizdat.net  which hosts the
nettime-fr (French language nettime) list, whose archives are carefully
hidden ;-) at the address: http://listes.samizdat.net/sympa  where you
have to look for 'nettime-fr@samizdat.net' and hit the
i-am-not-a-spammer button...
(Nettime-fr is no longer archived on the main nettime site for reasons
best known to the maintainers of nettime-fr)

cheers from Shanghai,
patrizio & Diiiinooos!