David Mandl on Sun, 12 Feb 2006 20:40:15 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> SONY admits that CD/44.1PCM is inferior

The people at Irdial Discs deconstruct (to put it politely) Sony's
hype about their newest audio technology:

http://www.irdial.com/scum.htm

---------

Sony:

"...you don't have to throw out your old CDs, although once you have
experienced SACD you may want to."

Irdial:

"...the true sound in every recording from the inception of digital
mastering in the PCM era, from Betamax PCM 501 up to the CDRs and
Exabytes that are now regularly sent to pressing plants, is now, by
the admission of SONY lost to mankind. The true sound of these
recordings will never EVER be heard by anyone, ever. Of course all of
the labels that took our advice and mastered onto tape have been
spared this disaster, but the truth is most record labels deafly
embraced CD and digital mastering, and now, we all have to pay."

---------

Wherever you stood in the vinyl vs. CD debate, it was not hard to see
this coming.  For years people have been predicting (or joking) that
the record companies would at some point try to make everyone replace
their entire music collections *again*.  No one ever lost money
overestimating the chutzpah of the record industry.

But much more interesting is the question about information-loss that
Irdial alludes to above.  Will every record recorded in the last
twenty years sound like digital garbage to listeners in 2015 (the way
the "amazingly accurate" digital samplers of the eighties sound like
shit now)?

There are also frightening parallels here with Nicholson Baker's
brilliant "Double Fold" (about libraries burning gorgeous old books
and newspapers en masse to replace them with unreadable microfilm).
Ditto for the situation with genetically engineered crops, but I'll
save that for another time.

    --Dave.

--
Dave Mandl