Matthew Soar on Sat, 18 Mar 2006 20:34:02 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> New online resource on product placement in the movies

Hi folks,

I've just launched an online critical resource on product placement
in the movies called Brand Hype (www.brandhype.org). It's been a
couple of years in the making, so please take a look around and let
me know what you think, and by all means spread the word. The main
feature is a publicly accessible product placement database called
Movie Mapper that can be searched by brandname, movie title, actor,
studio, etc. This database has been designed so that *anyone* can
sign up and help us log movies; in fact, we're going to be depending
on community involvement to keep it growing. So far we've logged
about one hundred movies. The site also includes an extensive
bibliography, discussion forum, movie stills, and excerpts from
recent books by Janet Wasko and Kembrew McLeod. (Visitors can also
view Behind the Screens: Hollywood goes Hypercommercial, the video I
produced in 2000 for the Media Education Foundation. Behind the
Screens includes lots of examples of product placement, as well as
interviews with Susan Douglas, Mark Crispin Miller, Janet Wasko, and
Robert W. McChesney.) Your feedback and criticism would be most
welcome as we continue to develop this resource over the coming months.

Best wishes to all,

Matt Soar

Communication Studies
Concordia University