Benjamin Geer on Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:39:49 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> re: nuclear diplomatic track

On 13/04/06, brian carroll <neuron@electronetwork.org> wrote:
> yet, in 'a state of emergency' it would be imperative to have public
> .US control over the state, so things do not get out of hand. so, it is
> like having a circuit-breaker, and what will be called for is that the
> .US military prepare to take temporary control of all critical .US
> functionality, outside of political control of the reigning parties,
> until the state can be reconstituted.

I don't think a military coup can be equated with public control of
the state.  Military coups often lead to military regimes that last
for decades, or to unstable states in which regularly occurring coups
become the normal mechanism by which power is transferred from one
ruling clique to another.  "States of emergency" have an unfortunate
tendency to last for a very long time.

Ben