Geert Lovink on Fri, 19 May 2006 09:52:06 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Supporting Iraqi Radio Journalists (interview with Anja Wollenberg)

Supporting Iraqi Radio Journalists
Interview with Anja Wollenberg, Media in Cooperation & Transition
(Berlin/Amman)
By Geert Lovink

Media in Cooperation & Transition (MICT) is a Berlin-based organization
that was founded in late 2004 out of a radio program that was conducted
as Iraqi German cooperation (TELEPHONE FM, by streamminister) and that
was broadcasted in Baghdad. With an emphasis on cooperation, mixing
Internet streaming technology with old school radio techniques MICT is
running media projects ever since with Iraqi partners in Iraq,
addressing an Iraqi audience. MICT-projects have a focus on the
political process in Iraq, respectively the elections and the
constitutional process in the last year. MICT is run by Klaas
Glenewinkel an Anja Wollenberg and could be considered a sister
organization of Streamtime, the support campaign for Iraqi bloggers, in
which I am involved, with, in fact, equally strong roots in radio and
streaming. This interview could be read as a follow-up of the one I did
with Streamtime member Cecile Landman, earlier this year
(http://www.networkcultures.org/weblog/archives/2006/01/
support_iraqi_b.html#more).

GL: Your website looks slick and corporate. Yet, there can't be a more
unglamorous place to work than Iraq. It seems such a big contrast. How
do you deal with this? Free and independent radios and newspapers in
Iraq seem to be involved in such a heroic and titanic struggle.

AW: In Iraq today you will find a high degree on plurality in the media
landscape, professionalism in reporting has increased dramatically,
governmental censorship has vanished and the right to free speech is
generally given, although seriously damaged by the growing lack of
protection for journalists. But independency is definitely missing. It
has not developed yet in the field of media. There is no market, no
market research, no legal framework. Instead media in Iraq are with
almost no exception partisan and biased. In lack of a market they
depend on donors and donors are rarely free of interest when it comes
to the Iraqi situation.

>From my point of view the current struggle in Iraq is in the first
place not about freedom, democracy or independence. It is primarily
about power and its redistribution. The political conflicts revolve
around this, the constitutional process did revolve around this, the
elections do and the media are hopelessly and actively involved in this
process of redistribution. Independency is lip service in Iraq today.

It will only become reality in the framework of an according law, on
the ground of an emerging market and a less fragile power situation.
But from what I understood the Iraqi user, reader, viewer is quite
capable to differentiate. As media users Iraqis derive from a tradition
of political propaganda. Not trust but distrust in media is the common
attitude. In general they tend to make use of different media sources
including foreign Broadcasters such as Al-Jazeera, Radio Monte Carlo
and BBC World.

How do we deal with contrast? The 50 team-members we worked with in the
last year came from 5 different countries and were located in 3
different places (Amman, Iraq and Germany). Contradicting views and
environments were an essential part of our daily work. Therefore the
structure of cooperation, the culture of communication and the design
of the editorial workflows gradually adapted to the need for creating
common perspectives with those involved on a daily basis. That is a
challenge, indeed.

GL: Over the past year or so you have been giving media trainings in
Amman, Jordan to Iraqi radio journalists. What have your experiences
been so far?

AW: The participants for the trainings we do are mostly the
correspondents for the media-projects we run. Trainings are embedded in
an ongoing cooperation and they are usually combined with a workshop
where we discuss concept and content for the upcoming program with the
correspondents. This has always been an extraordinary experience with
the Iraqi colleagues. They are absolutely committed to their work and
they like very much to engage in this kind of discussion.

Most of them understand journalism as a moral mission. They act in the
name of truth as a symbol for a new decade. To me this belief in truth
and the effort to erase subjectivity from journalistic work may bring
along problems though. Journalists, who are not reflecting on and
dealing with their subjectivity but just reject it, become vulnerable
for abuse in the power struggle that Iraq is going through. As I said:
media in Iraq are biased and partisan. You cannot ignore that, but many
Iraqi journalists tend to do so.

Another observation is quite interesting: a multitude of international
media institutions (dpa, reuters, BBC, Deutsche Welle, MICT, IWPR, CNN,
RFI, UN?) is offering media training to Iraqi journalists who attend
workshops, trainings and conferences in high numbers. These journalists
became a community with a fairly high level of competence and the
belonging to this community, the attendance of foreign training
measures become a ticket for the entrance in the Iraqi media field. At
the same time, Iraqi institutions for the education of journalists are
not undergoing any kind of reconstruction. The head of the department
for mass media at the university in Baghdad is still the same as it was
10 years ago. This gap is really wide open.

GL: Looking at the Election Monitor site that you've produced, there
are only data from the first elections in January 2005. What was your
aim when you set it up, back in 2004? Two more elections happened so
far. What happened to your project? Was it a trail? Did it run out of
money?

AW: Building up on the project election monitor Iraq, we are running a
program called Niqash since Feb.2005 until today
(http://www.niqash.org). Niqash is a political radio show and a Webpage
that both aim to provide balanced and comprehensive reporting on the
public debates in Iraq concerning the political process, respectively
the constitutional process and the preparation, implementation and
evaluation of the elections in December. The Website is in three
languages (Arabic, Kurdish and English) whereas the radio show is in
Arabic only (we only recently started a Kurdish version). Our main
focus is not reporting facts but arguments, positions and political
concepts of the involved players such as lists, parties, clerics, NGOs,
consultants and candidates. This way the program is portraying the
dynamics and the anatomy of political conflicts in Iraq which we
consider as more important than distributing naked information. The
interest on the Website was fairly high: In the forefront of the
elections in December 2005 we had about 2000 visitors daily, most of
them from the arab world.

Part of the website is a Blog section. We translated the Wordpress
Interface into Arabic so Niqash-users that do not speak English can
implement a blog. But interest in this feature is rather low until
today. The contributions we work with for the radio show are created
and delivered by 30 Iraqi journalists working in 8 different provinces
of Iraq. Niqash is based on these contributions and is broadcasted
through. 16 FM-radio stations in Iraq until today. The montage and
production takes place in the MICT-office in Amman. The fact that
contributions come from Iraqi journalists from inside and all parts of
Iraq (not only Baghdad) and the fact that Niqash is broadcasted through
partners in the entire country is most essential for the profile of our
work.

The project was financed by the German Foreign Ministry and supported
by the Friedrich Ebert Foundation until the end of March 2006. Since
May we receive funds from the Belgium Foreign Ministry for
qualification of journalists and reporting on the upcoming legislative
and constitutional process. ?

GL: What do you make of the countless Iraqis that actually move out of
the country? Yong talent that leaves, instead of returns. This is sad,
don't you think?

AW: I agree: one after the other is leaving Iraq and the country is
about to loose a great part of its intellectual and artistic potential
in an ever increasing speed. That is a horrifying observation, indeed,
like attending a slow starvation. But most of the artists, journalists
and academics that left recently remain in some kind of a waiting
position at the outside borders of Iraq in Amman, Damascus, Beirut,
Cairo?..

Actually, every Iraqi in Exile that we met is depicting a life outside
Iraq as painful and they all plan to go home eventually. But now the
Shiite Islamists have taken over power in Iraq, the south of Iraq is
strengthening its relations with Iran, religious dogmatism is growing
stronger fast. This development makes the return of intellectuals,
academics and artists less likely.

For the future of Iraq it is extremely important to keep those people,
that recently left connected to their friends and colleagues that
stayed in Iraq. Relations between inside and outside are crucial for
the cultural, political and social development in Iraq. But the
relations unfortunately tend to turn hostile once a person left. From
those that stay, leaving is perceived as a betrayal to the homeland,
the community, the people and family. From this notion the act of
emigration is loaded with a feeling of guilt and the relation Exile
Iraqies have to their homeland communities is often tense. One of our
next projects, starting in summer will focus on this issue.

GL: Do you also see a (silent) withdrawal of outside support, since
around mid 2004, for the people in Iraq?

AW: It depends which outside you mean. USA is as outside as Europe and
as the Arab world and as the UN. According to their interests, they all
relate completely different to Iraq, some have increased attention some
have turned away. Iran for instance is very much increasing support for
religious communities in the south by providing financial means and
resources. European NGOs as a matter of fact withdraw because it is
almost impossible for them to work in Iraq. European states are on hold
since there is still no government to talk to. ?

GL: You didn?t want to publish this interview a few months ago. What
was the reason?

AW: Since we received funds from the German government, we were asked
not to extra-promote our activities as long as the two German engineers
from Leipzig were kidnapped. They are free now. As you might remember,
in the beginning the kidnappers articulated political demands including
the termination of all German engagement in Iraq. Advertising our
projects in this time could have complicated the situation, endangering
the life of the hostages.

http://www.niqash.org/
http://www.streamminister.de/
http://www.streamtime.org/