David Garcia on Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:29:16 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> RE: nettime as idea

John,
I feel double about what you say.
Your right and many lists have been destroyed by endless self meta-discussion.

On the other hand from time to time it may be needed for at least a little
while. To clear the air.  And that has something to do with the peculiarity of
a list as a  social/publishing space.

In other words it is not just TV where you can just  'change the  channel'
neither is it a space for discourse alone it is also a community of sorts and
as such has a community memory.

Arguing over its meaning may also involve questions of historical fact
including personal issues between members of the community. And yes sometimes
its boring.

But I do not think that these discussions are disconnected to issues of more
substance.  How we treat each other in our communities of discourse is an
important expression (and test) of our politics in practice.

Maybe something of the old feminist slogan holds true in this instance: "the
personal is political".

Best

David

On Jun 13, 2006, at 9:51 AM, J Armitage wrote:

> All
>
> I think I can say that I have been on nettime for as long as I can  remember
> but, please, will someone change the channel?
 <...>